Pod Your Reef

Hollow's RSM

hollow

I didn't know you could get this either until StevieT told me about it. I have been using RO as that is what the directions say to do. But he recommends getting the calibration fluid. I'll probably get some next time I put an order in to Marine Depot.

BTW, very nice tank! and :welcome: to the RSM clan. There are a few of us here and some with LOTS of experience.

I got mine just to be safe. I used mine today and my refractometer was perfectly calibrated by just using RO/DI water. I just needed it for piece of mind.

Water testing log:

28APR Day 1

PH: 7.8

Nitrite: 0.25

Nitrate: 5.0

Ammonia : 1.0

01May Day 4

Nitrite: 1.0

Nitrate: 20

Ammonia : 0

07May Day 10

Nitrite: 0

11May Day 14

PH: 7.8 (possibly 8.0 really hard to tell)

16May Day 19

PH: 8.0

Nitrate: 10 or 5 too hard to tell

21May Day 24

PH: 8.4

Nitrate: 0

23May Day 26

PH: 8.2

Nitrate: 0

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a bunch of shots from a decent camera (canon) finally. I'm about 12 days into my cycle and I'm seeing a bunch of algae pop up.The alage growing on the powerheads and even on the glass. I finally got my ATO setup because the water evaporation while running the fan is horrible. My PH is still testing pretty low 7.8. I posted a thread and someone replied back that its not uncommon for your PH to be low during the cycle. The filth on the top of the water is definitely gone now that I got the water level constant with the ATO unit. The water is about 1/4 an inch from the black rim and I raised the grate until I heard a waterfall sound then backed it off until the sound disappeared. The top is kept clean this way with the hydor flow going as well. I'm seeing alot of crap floating in the water now , the whole "white snow" thing. I'm not sure its pods though.

Auto top off setup

image001.jpg

Tunze Skimmer

image002.jpg

Tunze Magnet Mount and Auto top off magnet

image015.jpg

This is what I used to mount my pinpoint thermometer.

image030.jpg

Pinpoint attached to the back

image033.jpg

Everything all setup. Still waiting for my StevieT media rack to get here :P

image035.jpg

I used twist tie mounts to secure the line from my ATO

image036.jpg

So far I have found only 1 hitchhiker on the rock which was an ugly brown bristle worm that was about 2 inches long. I'm kinda pissed because I ordered the LR from premium aquatics next day delivery with it scheduled for saturday delivery and I didn't get the rock until monday at noon. I'm pretty sure that guaranteed anything living to die. Anyways the rocks were a PIA to aquascape most of them were very large I only got a few small pieces. I didn't really want to break them so I went with an ugly mountain cove look. I figure it will look better once I get some corals on it.

Bunch of Tank shots

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

image007.jpg

image008.jpg

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image017.jpg

image019.jpg

image021.jpg

image023.jpg

image026.jpg

image028.jpg

Can't wait for my StevieT media rack to get here then I can get some decent filtration because with the way everythings running not all the water is going through my sponges and filter floss. I'm going to check out

YourReef tomorrow or Sunday because I found their link from this site and they are only about 20 minutes away from me. Looks like this might be a good place to buy my CUC and first corals when I'm done with my cycle as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Let see status update:

1. Replaced RSM stock heater after it went crazy on me. Replaced it with a 150w Hydro Theo Heater. It was the only thing I could find locally. I do like the fact that its fully submersible.

2. Added Stevie T Media Rack.

3. Started running skimmer. (raises my tank temp by 2 degrees)

4. Bought an alcohol thermometer. There's a 2 degrees difference between that and my pinpoint wireless. I still don't know which one to trust. Alcohol says 82 and wireless says 84. Plan on buying another alcohol and comparing. Still looking at chilling options because I would like a temp of 80-82.

5. Redid my aquascape. I used aquamend to stabilize some of the rocks and did some minor aesthetic changes.

6. Added CUC from reefscavengers.com. Order arrived on time and on friday like I requested. One of my blue legs was DOA and had been partially eaten everything else was fine.

Nassarius Snail 4

Nerite Snail 5

Stocky Cerith Snail 7

Dwarf White Leg Hermit Crab 1

Blue Leg Hermit Crab 3

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab 1

I currently have tons of thick green algae especially on my rockwork.

I'm thinking about adding around 5-7 more snails and a couple more crabs. I would like another scarlet and maybe a halloween hermit. I'm unsure about the snails. My current snails don't seem to really be cleaning any of my rockwork. The nerites chill on the glass and like taking turns riding my hydor flow. The ceriths just chill at the bottom and move so slow, I can't even tell if they are doing anything. The nassarius move pretty quick on the bottom but are very tiny. The crabs crawl wherever they like but are also very tiny. The scarlet just chills in the corner and looks at me. What snails do you think I could add would do rockwork and add a little biodiveristy? I want to avoid astrea because I don't want to micromanage them when they fall. Any suggestions?

Will post pics later :P

Naturalreef

Nice tank and aquascaping. Just my opinion, I like the first look better without the rock on the left sticking up. Your corals will def. need room to grow vertically, so the more space you have up there the less fragging you will have to do. I wouldn't worry about your live rock. It will take a little bit of time, but you would be amazed at what can survive in those deep crevices. My Tonga fusion rock was shipped 2-day and I'm not worried, you will see life just have some patience and keep looking at night with a red lense flashlight.

I really like the Red Sea Max..I think they did a nice job with the tank and the components all seem heavy gauge plastic and glass....It will be a tough choice for me this summer or early fall..it's either the JBJ hqi 28 or the Red Sea....Keep up the nice work!

Nick

Nice tank and aquascaping. Just my opinion, I like the first look better without the rock on the left sticking up. Your corals will def. need room to grow vertically, so the more space you have up there the less fragging you will have to do. I wouldn't worry about your live rock. It will take a little bit of time, but you would be amazed at what can survive in those deep crevices. My Tonga fusion rock was shipped 2-day and I'm not worried, you will see life just have some patience and keep looking at night with a red lense flashlight.

I really like the Red Sea Max..I think they did a nice job with the tank and the components all seem heavy gauge plastic and glass....It will be a tough choice for me this summer or early fall..it's either the JBJ hqi 28 or the Red Sea....Keep up the nice work!

Nick

My live rock had very little hitchhikers on it after a full month. 1 bristleworm, 1 snail and a couple very tiny feather dusters are the only thing I have spotted. I have tried the nighttime red lense spying operation and only found a bristleworm. The rock itself definitely has a nice shape and texture to it, its also gots lots of different algae on it. I personally love the red little plant algae that covers the rocks. I'm definitely impressed with the RSM aesthetic wise and design wise but the included components all suck and almost all will need replaced.

Current scape with my tons of algae (sucky cameraphone)

new_aquascape.jpg

I really would like a couple more pieces of small LR

Clean up crew added and happy

CUC.jpg

Algae still growing like crazy. Don't know if they are going to be able to eat it all. Thinking about removing some by hand. There are now big air bubbles all on the algae.

algae.jpg

Went out and purchased 2 more alcohol thermometers and both read 82 degrees. Wireless pinpoint is reading 84.5.

• 4 weeks later...

New Monti Cap and hermes the crab

Picture001-1.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Blue spot mushrooms

Picture002.jpg

Picture008.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Anyone got an ID on this blue thing?

Picture011.jpg

Ric

Picture006.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Zoas

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my newest member of the tank a Citron Clown Goby I was hoping for one of the more yellow ones but this one looks pretty cool as well. He looks black in the pictures but hes actually more of a yellowish brown/tan color. I finally got him to eat today after he refused flakes, pellets, and the freeze died cyclops. I feed him some frozen cyclops and finally got to see him eat. I had no idea that such a small chunk of the frozen stuff would turn into so much stuff once dethawing in a cup of water. It was kind of hard because alot of the food stayed on the top of the water surface and he would only eat the ones that flew past him. I'm guessing next time I'll suck the water up directly into a turkey baster and point it downward in front of the powerhead so hopefully they get tossed around the tank

This guy is very active and very funny to watch. He swims constantly and perches on everything. He perchs sideways and upside down on the glass as well. So far he perches on my rocks, both of my montis, my powerheads, my live rock, my sand, my snails, my crabs, my mag float and even on the side of the glass. He stays out in the open at all times unless I startle him. He also likes to look at me.

I also bought some frozen mysis shrimp. On the package it says its freshwater mysis and that you can feed it to both marine and freshwater fish. I read an article that mentioned "mysis" and "mysid". Anyone know which to feed and what scientific names are safe to feed saltwater fish.

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3598.jpg

Some Xenia

IMG_3594.jpg

New monti pic isn't that good I really like how it looks in the tank

IMG_3590.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Here's pics of my new chiller install.

image024.jpg

image026-1.jpg

image029-1.jpg

Pics of my new watchman goby.

image015-2.jpg

image017-1.jpg

image018.jpg

citron goby getting blown in the current

image020-1.jpg

Some new corals

image022.jpg

image012-1.jpg

image019-1.jpg

image013-1.jpg

image014-2.jpg

I have never herd of a citron goby before but it is really cool looking! Nice addition

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=161

Yeah I love these guys awesome fish. Come in various shades of yellow/brown. Mine actually as alot of brown/tan accents underneath the light but its hard to tell in the pics. Hes also got some blue stripes all along the body and near the face. They are bigger than the green clown and yellow clown gobys.

• 5 months later...

Hi Hollow!

Nice tank! :happy: I just set up my new RSM 12-16-08 and a YWG is definitely on my list too! Love those guys! Your pictures were really nice to see, thanks for posting them. Also-I really like your "ugly mountain cove", haha.

Happy New Year!

Archived