Innovative Marine Aquariums

???phosphates!!!

Nanu Nanu

Okay, Now I finished cycling, amonia is 0.,lighting is done, the word Phosphate came along and its time for research. Can anyone give me the 411 on Phosphate. I need the A-Z on this new word. My LFS gave me a some some of info, but I need to hear a second opinion or other experiences. Before I left the LFS I purchased a poly filter, the LFS showed me some chemicals, but I didnt want to put any chemicals in my tank yet till I hear any more opinions. Thanks Yall:happy:

Phosphates, like Nitrates are nutrients for algae. For that reason, you should keep them in check. In my HOB, I use SeaGel (a mixture of carbon and PhosGuard) in a media bag all of the time. This provides the chemical filtration for your tank.

Like you, I'm hesitant to put any chemicals in my tank. The Poly-Filter is probably OK.

Put the media bag in your power filter. You should take out any media cartridges that came with the filter because they will produce an excess of Nitrates if left in.

I would get a PO4 test kit to be sure you have a problem before you start spending money on filters and what not to combat a problem.

Phosphate is essential to the growth of most algae (a bad thing). Excess PO4 can inhibit coral calcification, which will stunt the growth of any coral with a hard skeleton. Not really a problem if you're keeping softies. However, excess phosphate will be stored on calcium carbonate surfaces, such as live rock and argonite sand. If not kept in check, it will become near impossible to remove the phosphate from your tank later on when you want to keep stonies. Phosphate will also slow/stop the growth of desirable coralline algae.

Here's a great article on phosphate:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sep...pt2002/chem.htm

Archived