Pod Your Reef

Calling all Prizm owners, how much room do I have?

Dustin

Hello folks. I have a 10 gallon fuge, and want to put a prizm skimmer on it. The skimmer cannot hang below it, so will it work? It has to be less than 10 inches from the part where it hangs, to its base.

I have a Prizm hanging off my 10g standard tank, no probs. I'll try to remember to measure it for you when I get home.

I don't know how it would affect the skimmer performance, but, the siphon tube is pretty long so you can actually make the skimmer sit on a table and if your tank is too short, the tubes will still reach into the tank (get what I mean? It's a hang off skimmer, but it doesn't really need to "hang off" it can sit behind the tank and stick it's appendages into the tank).

V

Ok, thanks, but I heard that prizms are no good, so I am gonna figure out how to make the CPR bakpak work

Thanks a ton though!

Nah!!!! My prizm Does a realy good job on my 29g. AGA. Seriously. It realy does. It will take about a week to break it in though. And will be very frustrating untile it does. But onc eit does it is worth the price. ( If you pay around 60 for it anyways.)

I am shopping for one and done my research. The most common complaint is that they are sometimes very noisy. I plan to use mine part-time so that is not a major concern.

My concern is how to fit it with an Eclipse hood. Perhaps I would have to cut it?

The prizm is real good for the price. If I had to spend over $100 for a good skimmer , I would've gotten the AquaC remora.

If you decide on the prizm, consider the deluxe version (or the pro version, can't remember) that has the surface skimming attachement. Why? because it's only about 10 bucks more and to buy the kit seperately is $25. I built a crappy, ugly surface skimmer out of (get this!) some acrylic nameplates (that sit on desks) and I think it works a bit better than without the surface skimmer. And, yes, it requires a bit of tweaking to get the foam working just right, but it DOES pull stuff out, so it works. It's just a matter of how much tweaking you are willing to do to make it work!

There are less fiddly, more efficient skimmers out there, but they are more expensive as well, so you decide. Also, many don't fit small tanks (if they are HOB). But again, the prizm can be adjusted to work and I'd rather have that gunk out of the tank rather than in!

V

Archived