Innovative Marine Aquariums

using 2x36w PCs.. what corals to grow?

Kara

I have a 10g mantis tank that has about 15 lbs of LR and a 3" sand bed. Currently, it has 2x10w PC bulbs but I am buying a canopy with 2x36w lights to replace them. I am getting a REALLY good deal on the canopy and lights.

I was just wondering what types of coral I can grow under these lights. I'm sure softies and LPS will love it, but will I be able to grow healthy, colorful SPS?

I tried doing a search for specific information from other people using 72 watts of light but the search engine won't take words under 3 letters, making the search fairly fruitless. :blush:

twin 36's on a 10 gallon should be plenty of light for montipora and pocillopora. Acros should be ok as well but might not color up as much.

If you do go with sps corals, make sure your water parameters are where they should be, including calcium and alk. Most people think that you put the sun over your tank and you can keep anything but that isn't always the case.

Check out brooklynjohnny's tank in the member tank section. He's got powercompacts over his tank and it is one of the best looking tanks I have seen on here.

ELGORDOINAVW

i think if you want to keep sps you should go with the powerquad 96 watt. the retro kit cost $99 @ hello lights. that light would be better suited for sps.

Originally posted by Crakeur

she's got a sweet deal for the twin 36's, thus the question.

Exactly! I'm getting the canopy and lights for free :)

So, for hard corals: pocillopora, montipora? Are there any other lower light requiring SPS? Maybe digitata?

adin, I already posted the link to reefchicks in the jerk thread. I am also in contact with my lawyers regarding a possibly theft of intellectual property. Oddly enough, the site is dedicated to reef hotties and yet, the site owner doesn't even pop a shot of herself on the site to get things started. Go figure.

Kara, Montipora cap, montipora dig, pocillopora, all will be fine under that lighting and, as I said, I think you might find acros will be ok too, as long as the water parameters are good.

check out this tank. powercompact lighting with awesome corals

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=14891

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=11234

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=14237

sorry crak. the jerk thread goes too fast for me. i gave up keeping a heads up on what goes on there back on page 3 in thread part I. woooooooops!

miss, check out www.oc-creative.com/reef too

gil's got a a green monti under a single 32w pc and it's doing... well, he sent me a picture today - wow.

WOW! Brooklyn Johnny's tank is amazing! I just spent the last few minutes mopping drool off of my desk. Excuse me while I roll my tongue up and put it back in my mouth. :love:

I think Roy, my mantis shrimp will have to be moved into one of my prop tanks so I can put a maxima clam or 2 in the 10g! I can't wait till Friday when I pick up the canopy! WOOHOO! Now, I just need SPS frags!

Sorry, Crakeur! You snooze you loose! I tell ya what, you can be an honorary reefchick ok? I'll send you a thong. :teehee:

lol adinszq, did you happen to look at the back of it?

Here's my pic.

I just spent the last few minutes mopping drool off of my desk. Excuse me while I roll my tongue up and put it back in my mouth.

:woot:

that's quite a talent there. :D

you might want to try an actinic and daylight versus 50/50's but regardless it should be sufficient with feeding. bj's :woot: (sorry) system seems to stress that from the attention he gives the fuge.

Originally posted by tinyreef

:woot:  

that's quite a talent there. :D  

its quite unsightly when it happens out in public! :blink:

I did some fairly extensive reading here about lighting and with all the rave reviews of Heliolights PC bulbs, I decided I'm going to go with Helios 1 daylight 10k and 1 actinic 03. I'm thinking about adding 2 dyi moon lights (LEDs). I'm also thinking about drilling out 2 holes in the canopy and installing two 3" fans...but I'll have to see what the canopy is like when I pick it up on Friday.

From reading stuff on the more successful nanos here, it seems like a lot of it comes down to feeding properly (besides pristine water conditions and lighting). I'm going to have to rethink things a bit and possibly include a 'fuge which would also be a good place to put one of those little chillers.

For those of you using 2x36w PC's on a 10g nano, do you find that it overheats the tank?

Ox, your tank is gorgeous! Seeing those photos only reinforced my resolve not to include xenia in my nano. I have enough trouble with it in my main tank!

I have 2x36w PC's over my tank, and a 75W ebo jager heater.

I have one of the 36s turned off to battle the evil green haired devil and the water temp is rock steady at 79, where my heater is set. With both lights on, the tank can go up to 82 or so, still nothing abby-normal. If your house is not hot, it's not a problem, when a heat wave passed by, the tank was up to 86-87 with lights OFF. A pair of computer case fans dropped it to 74 overnight (oops too much swing!)... so as long as your outside temp is OK, the tank doesn't get overheated by the lights.

V

Archived