SaltCritters.com

Help with surface skimmer

nUgZ

I recently purchased one of these surface skimmers.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=12703

I don't think I can attach it to my Aquaclear filter or my Maxi-jet powerheads. The hose is small and the parts they give you to attach it are just as small. It doesn't make any sense. Can anybody that has one tell me what they have it attached to and how please?? This is frustrating. Thanks.

I recently purchased one of these surface skimmers.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=12703

I don't think I can attach it to my Aquaclear filter or my Maxi-jet powerheads. The hose is small and the parts they give you to attach it are just as small. It doesn't make any sense. Can anybody that has one tell me what they have it attached to and how please?? This is frustrating. Thanks.

Mine attached to an AC filter by removing the intake tube of the filter and slipping on the correct black adapter (it comes with 2 size adapters) to the surface skimmers tubing. (if that makes sense)

Not sure how to connect to a maxijet though.

So you attached the tubing with the skimmer directly above the where the impeller is??

No, leave the AC's u-tube (from impeller to water) but remove the extension tube/s (the one with the strainer)

Connect skimmer tube with black adapter to bottom of AC's u-tube.

I tried googling an image but couldnt find one. I took mine out of my tank (to bulky looking) so I have no pics.

I use the AC110 filter...the bottom of the u-tube is almost twice as large as the skimmer's adapter.

Mine was on an ac70. I don't know the tube size difference between the two. The skimmer came with 2 adapters and I used the bigger one I believe.

I also put in on an ac30 using the smaller adapter. Maybe the 110 is too big.

The 110's u-tube is twice as wide as the 30 and 70's. I'm gonna be pissed off if I can't connect this thing. You would think they could include adapter's for a variety of sizes.

P.S. Thanks for the help guys.

The 110's u-tube is twice as wide as the 30 and 70's. I'm gonna be pissed off if I can't connect this thing. You would think they could include adapter's for a variety of sizes.

P.S. Thanks for the help guys.

The skimmer comes with (2) adapters that will fit over any AC intake. The large adapter will fit a AC110 intake. Here is a shot of my AC110 on my 10g with the skimmer attached. I did have to cut about 1-1.5" off the intake tube to get the skimmer tube to the proper depth in the tank. No big deal really. Don't worry dude. It will work out. ;)

2429010493_5511551645_b.jpg

Thanks for the input Crippler, but my skimmer didn't come with that adapter. I guess I'll call Drs. F&S and see if they know why that is. Here are two pictures of what mine came with.

skimmer.jpg

skimmeradapters.jpg

Thanks for the input Crippler, but my skimmer didn't come with that adapter. I guess I'll call Drs. F&S and see if they know why that is. Here are two pictures of what mine came with.

skimmer.jpg

skimmeradapters.jpg

Oh. It's the Tom's version. That's the problem. Mine is the one made specifically for ACs:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/215392/product.web

Does the Drs carry the Aquaclear version? If so, see if you can exchange that one for Hagen one.

Archived