Top Shelf Aquatics

Eclipse Corner 5 Gallon - No More.

Dadoboy

Looking real good. I like the black sand...I've got a suggestion though.

I don't know how easy it is for you to move the tank around, but if you can move it fairly easy you could turn the pumps off etc for like 25min. and close off the top of the tank...tape it off and paint the back to hide the wires and stuff...

just a suggestion. I like it so far, keep it up

Avalanche...

Thanks for the idea. I have a co-worker that is giving me a blue background stuff that she is putting on the wall... Looks good on the wall... If that doesn't work, I'll try painting it.... Ya think that black would be good, with the sand and all? I do like Cobalt blue, though... A friend of mine had his daughter finger paint the back of his tank... Might think about that as well...

Thanks again for the suggestion and hint about turning off the pumps... wouldn't thought of that.

Since things are stable - and all is going well, Hopefully this weekend I'll get me a clown... I like the Picasso Clown, but I think my LFS has this in stock...

gold_bandmaroon_clownfish-1.jpg

A gold band maroon clown.. Read some good stuff about them.

<edit> Just saw they are for a 10 gallon tank... Will be getting a firefish & 1 clown - tops.. Any clown suggestions for a 5 gallon?...

And of course I'll get some more goodies from them, as well...

FYI - I'm working on putting together a web page with videos, photos, and a live stream of the tank...

If your interested, let me know and I'll PM ya the link, once I get it going.. Might even put some ad's in the future ;)

Dave A.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, here is a quick update..

*First a big thanks to Bluepanda who donated her bubble to me. I promise to take good care of it! (not any good photos of it yet)

Picture46.jpg

under the moonlights

Picture44.jpg

I got a new friend... his name is Vulcan.

Picture41.jpg

You can tell that I have a background now (thanks avalanche1201!)... it was only temporary, though... I still need to cut some other stuff that I have and will let you all vote on the best one.. (Yes, and I'll be hiding my heater and stuff :))

Here is FTS.

Picture43.jpg

I think it's too busy for FTS but kinda nice for close ups..

And my mushroom has almost double in size in a month.. woo hoo...

Picture51.jpg

got a blue one... but he likes to hide, so no photos yet...

Question:

Do you all like the larger photos or the smaller ones?

Picture48.jpg

or

Picture50-1-1.jpg

Here is what I have:

1 red striped mushroom

1 blue mushroom

2 red legged hermits

2 turbo snails

2 bumblebee snail

1 sand sifting starfish

2 sexy shrimp

a bunch of different zoa's

a snippet of GSP

1 firefish

3 heads of green bubble

1 pom pom crab

and finally, some Chaeto

Any comments?

Thanks-

Dave A.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, here is a quick update..

*First a big thanks to Michelle who donated her bubble to me. I promise to take good care of it! (not any good photos of it yet)

Picture46.jpg

under the moonlights

Picture44.jpg

I got a new friend... his name is Vulcan.

Picture41.jpg

You can tell that I have a background now (thanks avalanche1201!)... it was only temporary, though... I still need to cut some other stuff that I have and will let you all vote on the best one.. (Yes, and I'll be hiding my heater and stuff :))

Here is FTS.

Picture43.jpg

I think it's too busy for FTS but kinda nice for close ups..

And my mushroom has almost double in size in a month.. woo hoo...

Picture51.jpg

got a blue one... but he likes to hide, so no photos yet...

Question:

Do you all like the larger photos or the smaller ones?

Picture48.jpg

or

Picture50-1-1.jpg

Here is what I have:

1 red striped mushroom

1 blue mushroom

2 red legged hermits

2 turbo snails

2 bumblebee snail

1 sand sifting starfish

2 sexy shrimp

a bunch of different zoa's

a snippet of GSP

1 firefish

3 heads of green bubble

1 pom pom crab

and finally, some Chaeto

Any comments?

Thanks-

Dave A.

Well I like your little tank. I think it is coming along nicely. I think a couple of small leather corals would look nice and you could put them higher up on your rockwork.

I would definitely not get the GSM clown. They get to large and aggressive. I think a goby/pistol shrimp combo would be very cool and would fit nicely in your tank.

Good job.

Well I like your little tank. I think it is coming along nicely. I think a couple of small leather corals would look nice and you could put them higher up on your rockwork.

I would definitely not get the GSM clown. They get to large and aggressive. I think a goby/pistol shrimp combo would be very cool and would fit nicely in your tank.

Good job.

Thanks! +1 on the goby/pistol shrimp...I've been hearing about them...

I've been buying things small and slowly, due to $$$, but I might spring some bling on something really nice... I have a really good LFS that is starting to 'look out' for things for me....

and +1 on the clown... I'm not ready for that yet... I got a firefish... and a cleaning shrimp... they both make me happier than just the 1 clown...

Alright... good night everybody!

Thanks again~

Ok, Well, I've been working on a bunch of stuff lately and haven't updated this. I just uploaded them so I will just post photos, and hopefully you all will enjoy.

100_0649.jpg

100_0651.jpg

100_0612.jpg

100_0581.jpg

100_0660.jpg

100_0592.jpg

100_0647-1.jpg

Help with this one.. (sorry it's blurry - Its in the photo right above and also next to the starfish in pic #3)

100_0639-1-1.jpg

I dont know what happened.. I think it got knocked over or something..It seems stressed & I think they are the guts...

I need help identifying the green striped mushroom on the bottom of pic #6, the starfish, as well as that little guy..

Thanks everybody!

Hello NR'ers!

Thanks for checking out my new stuff.

A friend of mine had a birthday & we went out to the LFS. We picked up a Sun Coral, Florida Ric, and 2 other mushrooms. When I got home, I had to open up my scape to create a cave for the sun coral. After 2 hours of moving stuff, It's not exactly how I want it, but I am close. I will finish it up on my next water change, and will take a FTS then.

Here is the Sun Coral right after I fed it.

Picture31-1.jpgPicture26-1.jpg

Last weekend, Bluepanda & I did a trade. Here are the goodies that I got.

The yellow polyps are looking good!

Picture22-1.jpgPicture64-1.jpg

As well as the Colt

Picture40-1.jpg

And my new Florida Ric

Picture18-1.jpgPicture62-1.jpg

I don't have any photos of the other 2 mushrooms yet.. next time.

Well, I would add more but lunch break is over..

Thanks again to everybody who has this tagged!!

Dave A.

clownfish1124
And of course my first priority..

DSCF0226.jpg

It's like a feather-duster and is almost like red/white stripe (banded).

I thought I had more/better photos of the tank, but thats another issue... More to come!

Thanks-

Dave A.

What kind of zoa is the fluorescent yellow one... I MUST HAVE IT!!!

What kind of zoa is the fluorescent yellow one... I MUST HAVE IT!!!

I really do not know... It was the first thing I bought for my tank. I'll see if I can get a good look tomorrow & see if I can find them (moved things around since then).. They are very nice in the pic, hope I can find them!

Thanks for noticing!

Dave A.

Well, the past week has been a disaster. My work situation is horrible, and when I come home to relax in front of my tank - more disasters.

Over the weekend, I did a water change.. sat back and noticed the starfish is missing his leg, as well as my bubble was turning a light brown.. After I posted what has happened on here, got some good laughs & was accepting that things happen and everything would be ok... Came home last night and my water was 'whiteish' and my tank was 72 degrees... for some reason my heater was turned pretty much all the way down (don't know how that could happen)... did another water change, and warmed the water back up to 78 degrees was at 78 degrees all night..

Since work had been stressing me out I took today off... woke up to my tank at 82 degrees and my heater is still on... turned it down some got the 'big' fan out and am cooling it down.. Then I noticed that my pom pom crab was right out in front - next to a snail. Seemed strange, since I only see him under rocks and in shadows... then I saw the cleaner shrimp was going to town on the snail.. Dead snail.. Removed it

Now I see a hermit crab right next to a body of the other crab w/o the shell. Not a molt.. I see the shell that the crab came from & no crab in it. Plus I can see the color of the body.. not like a shell of a body. Firefish is acting funny...

Is there anything that I could of done (expect watch the thing 24/7) differently that would of been better? I did water changes, treated it with care, and asked questions. But I think I have gotten "Klutzy disese"... I touch a something, and knock 3 other things down.. try to fix those 3 things, and spill water everywhere... clean up the water & the starfish is missing his leg.

Thanks to everybody who has helped me along the way, but I am going to give up on this... I cant handle possibly have to quit my job, look for a new job, and when I come home, end up killing animals.

Dave A.

p.s After I get drunk I'll post some photos of the tank that I had taken before everything went south... Had gotten some good shots that I wanted to save for a update..

(update) After talking w/ many people that encouraged me, I will keep this going... I've just had a stressfull week, and the problems at work & at home got to me. I'm thinking that the 10 gallon that Bluepanda gave me *might* be the ticket. I'm running out of room in my 5 gallon & there is *no* mercy for errors.

This might be the end of Dave's 5 gallon tank & the start of Dave's 10 gallon tank.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, pholks ~

Found out that my thread in my sig wasn't working - As well as no updates - So I'm fixing both.

According to my 'ticker' I am 2 months 4 weeks and 1 day.. (edit, wow, it's now 3 months 1 day).. Things have gotten a lot better. I did loose a few snails, starfish, & a blenny... This was due to me making a 1 gallon batch of water, instead of my normal 5 gallons & it got way too salty in there. I was battling a temp problem, which I think was to to me 'fidgeting' w/ it. Once I said, 'oh forget it'.. it stabilized (Hrmp - go figure) Here are some photos.. Please feel free to comment..

Picture478.jpg

Picture26.jpg

Picture370.jpg

Picture355.jpg

Picture359.jpg

Picture383.jpg

More once they finish uploading..

Ok, last batch for tonight..

Thanks again for looking... Post comments if you like..

(Bluepanda --- signthankspin.gifsignthankspin.gifsignthankspin.gif)

Picture433.jpg

Picture442.jpg

Picture213.jpg

Picture411.jpg

Picture486.jpg

Picture308.jpg

Picture268.jpg

Thanks everybody! Good night & have a great weekend!

Dave A.

Tank looks great...you are inspiring me to pico-build!

Thanks! It has been great.. my advise..

DO IT!

The main work is the water changes... gotta do that... I realized that I can't really go a whole week w/o a water change... trates go up to much.. I guess I have to do it every 5 days & do less water..

Nice man! I just need to figure out some ventilation..... What do you have running on yours?

Can you also hook me up FTS with a Lid shot?

Nice man! I just need to figure out some ventilation..... What do you have running on yours?

Can you also hook me up FTS with a Lid shot?

Dubs~

Here is the FTS w/ Lid shot

Picture493.jpg

I was using those little laptop fans but they started to make noise as well as made my evap go crazy. I went and bought me a $4.00 PC fan hooked it up to a 12v adapter and here is where I have it. My evap is about 1 - 1 1/2 cups a day. The fan really just cools the light down & not much airflow into the tank - but just enough. (edit - Oh, also I have it right under my Air Conditioner vent - to help w/ cooling)

Picture494.jpg

Picture503.jpg

I have the AC filter that I modded for the fuge. I snipped 2 of the fins off to reduce the flow. Modded the basket to hold cheatos, sponge on top to hold it in & put on a $4.00 nightlight and away we go..

If you plan on doing that, I can give you more details

Picture495.jpg

Picture497.jpg

Picture502.jpg

Now you might ask what that lemonade bottle as well as that little hose on top is.. :) that is my ATO (automatic top off). I like to have the water go into the filter in a nice trickle & gets mixed up w/ water - gets warmed up by the heater - then to the chaetos then into the tank... IMO - it softens it up and not to dramatic on the tank. I also do my water changes this way as well. Just fill up w/ salt water, instead of fresh water.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if needed... gives me a purpose in life..

HTH

Dave A.

Your tank is looking great Dave. Small tanks are not the easiest to keep stable so kudos to you.

I know I have had tem. issues with my 12g. I have to keep my AC set to at least 77 to keep the temp below 82.

I really like your little sexy shrimp. I need to get a few for my tank.

Your tank is looking great Dave. Small tanks are not the easiest to keep stable so kudos to you.

I know I have had tem. issues with my 12g. I have to keep my AC set to at least 77 to keep the temp below 82.

I really like your little sexy shrimp. I need to get a few for my tank.

Thanks! I have 2 of them & they are really funny... I like when they find each other.. they 'tassel' with each other, and then they go their own way.. every once and a great while, I'll see them together, but most of the time they are doing their own thing. I heard they do good if you keep them in odd numbers, but personally dunno much about that.

I was trying to figure out what my favorite thing that I have... and to be honest.. there really isn't 'one' thing that I like.. I am really pleased how things have turned out.. Last night, I was thinking of what to get next... and I thought.. why not chill & enjoy what you have.. Of course Friday is payday, and that's a different story.. :bling:

I'll try keep this thread updated more often... Haven't really thought I was doing that great, and thought nobody would be interested in my tank... After I got the watchman goby, I am kinda enjoying what I have & hope you will too.

Dave A.

I promised that I would update this more, so here it is.

My best friend gave me his computer desk. Made room for it, but it wobbled as soon as I put the tank on it... Had to move everything back. 2 hours - down the tube. But I did finally get one project finished. I wanted this tank to be on a 'lazy-susan' & 'away we spin!' A lazy-susan is what you put in the center of your table with food on it. You can then spin it round. I made a black top for it, braced the ends so it doesn't tip over, put my tank on it - - - and it works great! I can now just spin the tank around to see all sides. Now all I have to do is fill in the sides & back of the tank with goodies. I didn't realize how much room that I have back there... oooOOoOoo :happydance:

Bluepanda has let me borrow her lights for my 10 gallon & have started to work on that as well. I hope that lilredeneckman will be able to sell some me some stuff from his new tank that he started to put in there.

I'll' post picks of what I have done in the next couple of days...

P-DUBS

I promise to get some photos of 'Firehouse Bob' real soon for you - as well..

Dave~

• 2 weeks later...

Well 3 & 1/2 months... I got some more stuff and also realized that I still have a problem.. More on that in a bit...

First P-Dubs... Here is a shot of Firehouse Bob for ya.. I'll get ya more later

Picture531.jpg

Some real pretty pink paly's...Any ID would be great.. I keep forgetting what he tells me..

Picture513.jpg

Picture516.jpg

Got a great deal on these yumas..

Picture527.jpg

And a hammer..

Picture532.jpg

My tunicate is huge...

Picture504.jpg

found another one a couple of weeks ago..

Picture452-2.jpg

I highly recommend coral reef farm in Hollywood, FL.. Tell them I sent ya.. (dave)

Ok, now the other news... I guess I was in denial & haven't tested my tank. Nitrate was high... I've been doing a gallon waterchange every other day, and will test it again tomorrow. Most of my zoa's are gone, GSP & yellow polyps - just a tiny bit left. Funny, all the stuff that "thrive" is dying and my more complexed corals are doing great.. fingerscrossed This could also be do to a 'lighting' issue. I'm starting the 10 gallon this weekend (FINALLY!). It has 36w of light. Hopefully everything will come back...

I'll be getting rid of the golden coral banded shrimp soon... None of my other stuff can rest.. Think she clipped one of the antenna of my cleaner before he relized the CBS didn't want to be friends.. I'll probally plop her into the 10 gallon until I figure out what to do w/ her..

Hopefully thing will improve for the next update...

• 2 weeks later...

tank is looking great man.... hope you got that nitrate problem under control..... Just dealing with my cycle right now....

I never needed to ventilate at all.... my temp sits at like 74 hhaha... I think my snails crap too much must be why i am having high nitrates too...

Well,

3 Months 3 weeks into it & my 5 gallon tank has now ended. My 10K bulb was on it's way out very quickly & I was sick last Tuesday, so transfered everything over to the 10 Gallon. Wow - What a big difference it made! Since this was a unexpected timing of it, I just went BB for now. I did loose Izzy's mushroom though. I had bought it and fragged it, but the pieces never took to LRR and got lost in the shuffle. I guess this means that I have to end this :tears: thread for now. I'm thinking of putting really cool live plants in there. Update that later.

Here is a quick peek into my 10 gallon thread

Hi! My name is 'Firehouse Bob' & I'll be watching over you.

Picture553.jpg

OooOoo ~ you need watching!

Picture562.jpg

I'm watching you!

Picture561.jpg

And I thought Vulcan was a camera hog! :P

Here are just a few more...

Picture539.jpg

Picture538.jpg

Picture565.jpg

Thanks everybody who had commented, and any more would be greatly appreciated!

Dave A.

tank is looking great man.... hope you got that nitrate problem under control..... Just dealing with my cycle right now....

I never needed to ventilate at all.... my temp sits at like 74 hhaha... I think my snails crap too much must be why i am having high nitrates too...

Thanks! I've noticed since I've gone BB & can see the all the crap that is accumulating. And it's only been 1 week!(shivers)

I'll be watching yours. So, keep up the good work!

Thanks! I've noticed since I've gone BB & can see the all the crap that is accumulating. And it's only been 1 week!(shivers)

I'll be watching yours. So, keep up the good work!

Yea I got a 40 breeder, which will be setup soon, I am gonna keep my 5g going, but most of the corals will go to the 40 to grow out and I am gonna put lots of shrooms and ricordea in the 5g..... Good luck on the 10g It will definitly look great.... please post a link to your new tank thread here so I don't have to search around for it.

And I'm Not like you, No Fish in the 5gallon....

Archived