SaltCritters.com

2.5 instead of 2 hex

Jon-Paul

Yes I have decided to stop on project 2 Gallon Hex and join the wave of 2.5's that are infesting nano-reef.com. Anyway the setup is as follows:

2.5 AGA Tank

Mini-Jet 320 Powerhead (possibly 2)

Azoo Palm Mini Filter (16 GPH)

2x13 watt PC (10K, Actinic)

25 watt Hagen Mini Submersible Heater

5-6 lbs Live Rock

3-4 lbs Live Sand

Okay now that is the standard setup right. I was thinking of taking it a step further... I plan to put one of those 70watt Metal Halides on there and have a 2.5 SPS tank! i would prob make the MH a 10 K and the 2 PC's Actinics. Sure the light will be extreme over kill but it will be the only way to get SPS to grow good. Although I have heard that they do good under PC's. Anyway Please tell me what you think. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanx Jon-Paul

sounds good but id do an aquaclear powerfilter instead of the 2 powerheads so you have something to catch debris and stuff. the 70 watta would be great ove rit for sps good luck,Chris

so just when the sps get some growth growing and start to look like nice colonies instead of little finger frags.... they're out of room and bashing into each other. then what? how about your calcium levels? reactor? ... just wondering :P

just when the sps get some growth growing and start to look like nice colonies instead of little finger frags.... they're out of room

That was what I was thinking. Dont pack in the frags and hope to have some colonies growing. I would put in a small clam (if you have another larger tank to transfer to later.) And two really nice acro colonies and another coupler small slow growing frags. Then you are about done. For calcium I would just do fathful WC's and mayber dose very deluted Kalk as top off.

70w HQI Is a ton and truly unnecessary but hey if you want to try is go for it.

JJ

BTW I have a 2.5 with a aquaclear 150 on it and I love the aquaclear. Doubles as a great fuge. I even fit it on the side by just cutting a quater inch of plastic off each side "stilt thing it sits on". Currently I have no PH in the tank.

JJ

Yeah I do have a biger thank to xfer the clams and stuff into but the problem is it is lit with VHOs. Now some people have said that this is okay but coming from a tank lit with PCs and MH would it do so good? Can you keep clams and sps in a 37 Gallon with 300 watts of VHO?

Thanx for your replies

Archived