SaltCritters.com

What's wrong with my clown

medik13

I have owned a, supposedly, a maroone clownfish (looks more like a percula) for a week. He looks healthy but only swims on the top of the tank. He swims around the tank over and over. He however, never ventures off into the tank where you can see him. When I feed him, he eats the food on the surface. If the food floats down to the middle or the bottom he won't go after it. Is this typical of a clownfish?

Christopher Marks

How is he doing now?  I think it may be stress from being in a new tank.  A lot of my fish tend to stick to one small area of my tank for a while, when they are first introduced.  Let me know how he's doing.

P.S.  Could you get a photo so we can identify him?

my clown was the same way...he constantly stayed in one spot, having a mean yellowtail damsel didnt help any and once i got rid of it the clow like to travel to all parts of the tank these days! see if theres anything he could be afraid of down below.

Well its been a while and he continues to stay swimming around the very top of the tank over and over. He eats and looks well, but he never goes down into the tank. There are no other fishes in the tank, so I don't know what he could be afraid of. Maybe he needs a friend. I don't know I guess I have sadly gotten use to him swimming behind the black trim that is around the tank. All you see is his bottom fins swimming around the tank over and over. Kind of funny actually.

Where is your tank located, if it is in a place where your constantly sitting or doing somthing around, he might be afraid of you. Wait till he registers you as his source of food then he should turn around. As long as he is eating dont worry.

• 2 weeks later...

As not having a saltwatertank yet, I can not speak from own clownfish-experience, but my cichlids and fw-puffers behaved similar, when there was no hiding-place in the tank, so either a host-anemone could be add (in my opinion shouldn't be introduced in an aquarium, because of their high mortality) or, an this is what I recommend from my fw-experience, place a flowerpot in your tank, they are also used in hatcheries and do fully compensate host-anemones. ( I believe on this topic is also something written on Jeff Pfohl's Homepage http://nucalf.physics.fsu.edu/pfohl in the newsgroup-archive)  

A reef on a writing desk, also very realistic;

the flowerpot will be fastly overgrown by different polyps, e.g. Zoanthus sp. (Bali-Polyps?), if they have the chance to do so and than they will look at least as realistic or natural as fishes in a nanoreef.

Christopher Marks

Flowerpots (well, half flowerpots) are great additions to tanks that need a "safe haven" for their fish.  Many people work them into your rock work so you can't even see the flower pot, because it is covered by rocks.  Any part that shows will be blended in with coraline algae.

If you have a glass cover on the tank maybe try it for a day without it and try to agitate the surface alittle more with positioning a powerhead closer to the surface to aid in the gas exchange... Just a idea =)

Archived