Coral Vue Hydros

can anybody tell me what this hitch hiker is?

blk_g20

looks like some kind of polyps, 4 heads stuck out of the rock after couple weeks, i haven't fed them or anything. somebody tell me what they are and what to feed please.

I think I got same thing in my tank and I think they are brown button polyps. Except mine are way smaller and tehre is like 14 polyps. LoL

Jon-Paul

They might also be pest anemones. Touch one with something and see if it retracts. A zoo or button polyp will (fairly slowly) close to look like the ones not open in this picture.

F03026.gif

A pest anemone will quickly get real small and retract into the rock. If it is a pest anemone, they can sting your corals and it is good to try to get rid of them.

I'm currently trying to get rid a a couple of pest anemones that hitchhiked on some corals that I bought. I've tried putting epoxy putty on them, using superglue gel on them, and picking them off with tweezers.

Button polyps are cool. B) You shouldn't have to change your current feeding habits to accomodate them. I can see that my buttons feed on bits of thawed frozen Formula One that land on them (but I do not target feed).

they are definitely zooanthids aka button polyps. Be careful not to touch them if you have open wounds in your hands, as some of their kind are toxic.

Archived