Pod Your Reef

5 g Bowfront - NEW PICS 10-24 - Total Pics = 188

Sctn4Elk

nice job so far..

is the ric doing well?

He has his off days...seems several weeks ago he had two mouths and I thought it was going to split. It sure looked like it, but then for whatever reason the mouth disappeared and it did not split. As long as I keep it out of the direct light it seems to do OK...but the hermits move it around and if it gets out into the light too much it shrinks way back. It is actually doing really good right now...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, lately my water temps have been on the rise...used to run about 82 mid day, but in the last week it has crept up to 83 and even 84 a couple of times. So, since I have the day off I decided to ghetto rig a light...not pretty, but I have had it on there for about 1 hour and the temp has went from 81.6 to 80.0, using the coralife electronic...actual temps would have been about 1 degree higher as compared to a mercury thermometer.

DSCN1615.JPG

DSCN1624.JPG

Love the tank, but that warning from your light drives me nuts

:lol: I know, that thing sucks...I don't know why they had to put that right there...obviously the design engineer was no reefer....eventually I'll get motivated and find a way to remove it...

Sweet little tank!

I really like that zoa rock, it's way cool...

:happy:

Thanks Lizzie, yea I like that rock too...

clownfish1124
:lol: I know, that thing sucks...I don't know why they had to put that right there...obviously the design engineer was no reefer....eventually I'll get motivated and find a way to remove it...

Or you can just wait for it to be covered in coraline!!!

Could you post how much the whole thing has cost you so far? i am very interested in doing a small sps tank soon. also, do you use a protein skimmer???

Or you can just wait for it to be covered in coraline!!!

Could you post how much the whole thing has cost you so far? i am very interested in doing a small sps tank soon. also, do you use a protein skimmer???

I use a POS Nano Fission...barely does anything but it does remove some gunk...waiting to get a sapphire...

I'll look up some numbers and throw together a price build out...so check back this evening (Dallas time that is)

OK, well I just checked the temp and it is down to 77.7....so that's almost a 4 degree drop and the lowest it has ever been...I have never seen the tank below about 78.9 degrees...is this too much at one time?

I keep the AC set at around 77 and my heater has been set at 77 since day 1...although it has never kicked on as far as I know...

Maybe I need a temp controller on the fan....I don't want my heater to start kicking on....DIY here I come...

why not just take the fan off for a bit so the temp goes up?????

That's like chasing a bubble....I don't want to swing by my tank every hour to turn on/off the fan...I am going to see if it goes low enough to trigger the heater which is set for 77. I have about a 1 degree diff in my my temp probe vs mercury so I am hoping it stabilizes where it is...otherwise, I could get a smaller fan or DIY a temp controller.....

OK, seems to have stabilized around 76 (77) but I don't know if that is because the heater is kicking on or not? I have a 50W stealth and it doesn't have a light when it is on....

Been playing with the white balance on my camera and got new moon lights...

DSCN1604.JPG

DSCN1605.JPG

DSCN1609.JPG

DSCN1614.JPG

PomPom is starting to split...

DSCN1618.JPG

DSCN1619.JPG

Son's Ric after Peppermint Shrimp attack..nursing it back to health...

DSCN1620.JPG

DSCN1621.JPG

Still acclimating...

DSCN1638.JPG

Sweet tank...... Awesome.....

Thanks...now if I can just get my salinity problems cured....starting work on that today since I just got a new Refractometer and it told me my tank was at 1.032......Holy Salt Shakers, Batman.....

LOL.... I know the feeling. I just checked my tank and my auto topoff I made was on a little too long.. I use IV tubing and set the drip rate... LOl.. Homemade but cheap... Luckily my salinity didn't swing too much... Here's a pic of my 5.5 gal.... How do you like your viper?????

Picture1182.jpg

...How do you like your viper?????...

Nice tank...coralline is coming along nicely...wish mine would, only got a couple of 1/8 inch dots on my glass...

Love the Viper...new ones come with a fan, which I just had to add...I actually have 2, the other one is on a 35 gallon hex that has mostly fish and a few softies...

• 3 weeks later...

I love your setup! What size is that sump?

As for the monti, maybe you could glue it on one of the edges of the rock or even on the glass/acrylic (not sure which). You have some really nice corals in there. Glad to hear they are recovering.

I love your setup! What size is that sump?...

10 gallon sump....monti has been attached to the rock in front...actually doing really good right there...

Well, time for another update..after getting my SG under control (with the new Refracto) and finalizing my Alk/Ca dosing amounts, things are great and the inhabitants couldn't be happier....now time for the pics...

Fridmani...chillin with the cleaner

DSCN1688.JPG

My ric and son's recovering after Pep shrimp attack....looks much better, has his color back

DSCN1690.JPG

Hydnophora and Galaxia (growing out for my 55 or 120)

DSCN1681.JPG

Birdsnest

DSCN1683.JPG

Monti cap showing 1/4 inch of growth since 7/18

DSCN1684.JPG

Radioactive red mushrooms love SG at 1.025...hated SG at 1.032...have I said how much I love my Refractometer...hitcher LPS now has 6 heads

DSCN1686.JPG

Hammer and Green Paly's

DSCN1693.JPG

Friggy checkin out the zoas

DSCN1698.JPG

GCG favorite spot

DSCN1696.JPG

I never really take pics of the sump so here goes; Don't hate the bio balls...I clean them weekly and have 0 Amm, NO3 and NO2

DSCN1699.JPG

Sump close up..hitchhiker shrooms

DSCN1700.JPG

Time to trim the Chaeto

DSCN1701.JPG

The 5 gallon FTS

DSCN1695.JPG

uhhhh....guess I needed the pics added... :lol:

Thanks for looking

wow i love your tank! not just the shape but the corals are really cool too. it's gonna look amazing once they are all grown!

Thanks, yea I hope so...I have just about all I wanted in there...maybe one more blue acro...once things take off I hope to frag them out to my other two tanks....

Few more pics:

Pom Pom after splitting into three parts:

DSCN1704.JPG

Zoas and Palys

DSCN1705.JPG

Top down of Zoa rock

DSCN1706.JPG

Top down hammer

DSCN1707.JPG

Top down hammer 2

DSCN1708.JPG

cleaner shrimp have two purposes in life, to clean and TICK off all zoas, platys and softies.

:D they are so much besides that fact

cleaner shrimp have two purposes in life, to clean and TICK off all zoas, platys and softies.

:D they are so much besides that fact

So true...at least once a day he gets up on that rock and "cleans" the zoas...they don't like it, but as soon as he leaves they are back in seconds...he has made it a routine... ;)

Archived