Pod Your Reef

aggressive coral help

gello99

i need help!!! i recently got a bubble coral and a moon brain coral. i need help with their stinging tentacles. it seems that the bubble coral has stung a section of my daisy polyps. i saw some stringy substance on a small part of them and the polyps won't open. is this fatal?

how do i control these tentacles? i have found it is hard to move them off. also, the bubble's tentacles must have traveled 12 inches upwards to hit the daisy polyps. can they sting hermit crabs and starfish also? i think my starfish was stung and is locked in a position for now.

does carbon and/or the protein skimmer help with this "chemical warfare"?

i would appreciate any insight into this matter.

by the way we are new to reef keeping. we both have a 29 gallon tank. 165w compaq flours...seaclone 100 protein skimmer, aquaclear 500 diy refugium....

many thanks

angelo and cynthia

move your corals away from the sweepers. nothing else, short of removing the aggressive coral, will work.

The daisy might recover. keep an eye on the star.

thanks, daisy seems ok now after i moved it. after a couple hours the starfish started moving again. wouldn't you know my luck....the tank water is now cloudy. i'm thinking bacteria bloom but why now? my ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is really low. tank has been up for 2 months with cycled rock. calcium precipitation? ph is 8.1, need to get an alkalinity test kit. another clue may be it only started to get cloudy after i added carbon to polish the water.

Archived