Cultivated Reef

Nano automation: Kalk doser with controller?

corvettecris

corvettecris

I'm looking for options here on automating the kalk dosing. I know a lot of people gravity drip at night, etc. Basically, I want pump kalk (either independently, or with top-off water) based on a PH controller. So, if the ph drops, kalk starts dripping until it is stabilized. Basically, I believe this would be a very stable system PH wise, but I'm unsure if the use of kalk in that manner could possibly drive up my calcium or alk levels (or make them fluctuate).

I also have a small calcium reactor as an alternative option.

Basically, I'm looking for creative ideas involving kalk dosing or calcium reactors that can maintain PH, calcium, and alk fairly consistently without intervention for extended periods of time (at least a week). Any links/ideas?

BTW, this is for a SPS 34g Solana, stock.

corvettecris
I wouldn't do it that way, though I have used pH to TURN OFF the kalk - you should be more concerned with maintaining stable alkalinity

Thanks

Nooby here, so …

Check out Osmolator or Aquacontroller. Without problems so far (for four months now), I have been using Aquacontroller Jr with homemade ATO: two float switches inside my tank (Eclipse Six), Tunze 5000.02 pump (which is part of Osmolator) and 1.5 gallons humidifier bucket. I am mixing weak (1 teaspoon) kalk and that last me about 10 days. pH control is being used only as a safeguard. Every week or two I am also adding two parts B-Ionic while ATO is done only at night. Calcium and Alk. have been stable around 420 ppm and 8.5 dKH.

filefish949

I have done it that way for years, however on the nano I employ a float switch as well. I plug the float switch into the pH controller and the ATO pump in to the the float switch. it is a great way to maintain alkalinity and calcium. you do have to keep an eye on it, with the float switch, it will not overflow, but if evap goes up you may have to raise your pH setting a bit. on tanks with 30 gal sumps and bigger you do not need the float switch.. just keep an eye on the sump every few days. once a month or so I find myself adjusting my pH by 0.05 or so to keep the correct level on the big tank

how big is your tank? if you have a high demand SPS tank, this is huge advantage with a calcium reactor

****edit****

on a 34 gallon tank, no need for a calcium reactor, get dry product from bulk reef supply if kalkwasser and water changes do not keep up with demand... i so want a calcium reactor, just cause they are cool, but i have kalkwasser ATO and automated 2 part dosing and calcium is staying at just over 450 and alk is just over 10 so why spent the money?? well I guess they are fun to tinker with

corvettecris

Thank you both. Filefish, I am planning on almost exactly what you mentioned. I just plan on using a lak stirrer on a timer to so i can adjust the amount of kalk dissonved in my ato water. I would consider tha aquacontroller, but maybe later. I need to learn more about them and thair capabilities first, I guess.

Thanks again.

filefish949

my recommendation, if you can afford it is to get the AC or RK first. it will make life a lot better. using a kalk stirrer attached to a RO/DI is risky, as there is no fail-safe. I mix up kalk every week or so. 1.5 gall for the nano and 10 gallons for the 180. if all else fails those will run out before too much damage is done.

here is the code I use on the ACJr. for kalk

timer names**************

LT1$-A1

LT2$-A6

PM1#-A3

SKM#-A4

HET%-A5

COL%-A2

DOS&-A7 /// runs the tom aqualift

WTM&-A8

FAN%-B1

program statements ************

If Time > 08:30 Then LT2 ON

If Time > 21:30 Then LT2 OFF

If Time > 09:30 Then LT1 ON

If Time > 20:30 Then LT1 OFF

If Temp > 77.9 Then COL ON

If Temp < 77.8 Then COL OFF

If Temp > 77.6 Then FAN ON

If Temp < 77.5 Then FAN OFF

If Temp < 76.9 Then HET ON

If Temp > 77.0 Then HET OFF

If pH < 08.19 Then DOS ON //// controls the pH

If pH > 08.20 Then DOS OFF

RND 015/015 ON/OFF Then WTM ON

If FeedA 000 Then WTM OFF

If Moon 000/000 Then LT2 ON

If Temp > 67.0 Then PM1 ON

If Temp > 67.0 Then SKM ON

then I just plug the float switch into A7 and plug the tom aqualift into the float switch

Archived