Cultivated Reef

Pistol Shrimp Combo

ucsd reefer

ucsd reefer

I've been interested in getting a symbiotic pair. I'm pretty sure that I want to get the tiger pistol shrimp since it is reef-safe and looks neat. But I've been undecided regarding the goby. Recently I found this shrimp goby which looks pretty cool imho http://www.cosmos.ne.jp/~breach/Fish%20col...ll/goby030.html

Anyone know if these guys are compatible with tiger shrimp pistols? I like them since they only seem to grow to 2inches which would be great for my nano.

-Mike

AlienAnchovies

thats a nifty goby

as far as the shrimp and goby imo its pretty much touch and go with those guys, some times the do sometimes they dont, id try and get species that are known to live togther in the wild

The goby you mentioned most likely will pair off with the pistol shrimp...the tiger pistols specifically tend to have a symbiotic relationship with the genus Amblyeleotris or Stenogobius. I'm not sure I have ever heard of the exact species you mentioned, but I want to look into them(they look a lot like the hi fin red banded goby, but the scientific name is different, I dont know if that specific site messed up the name or if its a completely different species). I have been tossing the idea around in my head about the goby/pistol combo, and the tiger would be the one to go with if you were to go with one. They are much more vibrant in color than most variations, and from what I have read, they have much more personality (for a pistol). If you want a sure fire way of knowing that your goby will take to the pistol, they get a yellow watchman or a neon. Also be wary that the pistol LOVES to create sand storms if you plan on having a deep sand bed...so go with a shallow (1-2") one. That shrimp goby really looks cool, and I am definetely going to look into it more, and if I find anything that might help you out further, I'll let you know.

ucsd reefer

I've been looking into the hi fin red-banded goby as well but I think that the black-ray shrimp would be a better species for my nano. Plus I also like the coloration on it a lot more. I've been searching around and it seems like they pair with Alpheus randalli in the wild which are white/tranparent with a bit of red coloration. Does anybody know the general name for this species?

I had my first pair in my 2.5 gal tank and they were great. They now reside in my 15 high. It is a yellow watchman and tiger pistol. The tiger pistol shrimp has to be the least colorfull of the pistol shrimp avalible to the home aquarium. It has gray marking that of a tiger but that is it. My other pistol is mostly red with white stipes even on its aniteni but he has yet to pair with a gobie. so now i have a pair of yellow watchman gobies and a tiger pistol together. they will move your sand around a lot but not in the water. dont buy a pair from your LFS they will charge u double what the cost seperat. the threadfin gobie u posted will do fine with a tiger [i have seen them together at my LFS]. GL and keep us posted

ucsd reefer

I found the general name. It's Randall's Pistol Shrimp or Randall's Snapping Shrimp. Anyone know of places online that may sell these specimens? I've checked marinedepotlive.com and liveaquaria.com

i have one and have access to them all teh time..supposedly they are rare but my lfs has them often. i also am lookin gto get the fish species you have spoken about. i might be able to get you one i fyou want.

Archived