Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Tunze Skimmer: 9002 vs 9005

CodeToad

Considering a 9002 or 9005 to skim 40 gallons of mixed-reef.

Primary concern is noise - aquarium will be located in a living area.

The reviews I have read on the 9002 all point to extremely quiet. I found less reviews on the 9005. Anyone have any experience with one, the other, or both?

Brandon's Reef

I heard the same but I have a super skimmer 65 right now that seems to be doing the job, im just looking to upgrade, I wont waste my time or money if I wont see a huge difference

HecticDialectics
Considering a 9002 or 9005 to skim 40 gallons of mixed-reef.

Primary concern is noise - aquarium will be located in a living area.

The reviews I have read on the 9002 all point to extremely quiet. I found less reviews on the 9005. Anyone have any experience with one, the other, or both?

The 9002 is too small for a 40B... you'd want the 9005. The reason you can't find many reviews of the 9005 is because of the price range. If you want to use the 9005 in-sump, you have to buy the $50 9005.400 add-on, so you're only looking at like a $30 difference.

I recently put a 9002 in a 34gal RSM and it's super quiet and works perfectly. I can't imagine another 6gal would push it over it's limits!

I recently put a 9002 in a 34gal RSM and it's super quiet and works perfectly. I can't imagine another 6gal would push it over it's limits!

Depends on what you have in the tank also. I would go with the 9005 for the 40br. I have the 9002 on 23 gal frag tank it is does well.

I also added the 9002 to my 34 RSM. I love it!! It is so much quieter than the stock skimmer. It also does a better job at skimming. But i cannot remember what max gallon size it services. I thought it was 50 but I could be entirely wrong.

But for me it was one of the best investments Ive made so far.

HTH

Are you going to be running it in sump? I have a 9010 on ~35 gallons volume. I think it's worth getting a 9010 over 9005 if running in sump, because you need to purchase the addtl. sump kit with the 9005, but it is included in the price of the 9010, which isn't that much more after the total cost of 9005+kit. No comment on 9002, or 9005, but the 9010 is very quiet and skims very well - I would assume the others are good and quiet skimmers as well.

Thanks guys. No sump, it will be handling a 40 gallon aquarium, but obviously less water volume after rocks and sand and such.

From what I gather - the 9002 will work just fine as this is not an SPS only aquarium, but the 9005 may skim a bit more aggressively given the size of the aquarium which wouldn't hurt. The cost isn't the issue between these two models and everything is still in the design phase so I can easily mount it in a cabinet (9005) or in the water (9002). The noise level is however my primary concern, this aquarium will be in a living space, and I'm picky ;)

I'd LOVE to hear from someone who has or has at least seen both the 9002 and 9005 in action and can compare the noise levels.

Archived