Pod Your Reef

Eclipse 12 from acme aquarium??

CDoskocil9

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Eclipse 12 starter kit from acme aquarium also I was wondering if anyone could reccomend to me a starter kit which they feel is a quality product? I was also wondering if the eclipse 12 includes everything i need to have live coral and fish or is there something else i will need?

Most all starter kits I have seen are not good enough for a nano. They either dont have the lights or they have many other problems. The 13 watt light in the eclipse 12 isnt good enough, that must be changed!

My advise would be to look around at other people's nanos on this forum and see what you like and what has worked for them and most importantly HASNT worked for anyone.

If you like the eclipse 12 for its sleek look and design, you can make it work for you as a nano.

First, purchase new lighting for the hood. If you don't want to replace the hood or make holes in it, you should go with the 1x32 Custom Sea Life Supernova retrofit. It screws into the same holes that the existing light in the Eclipse has.

I have been running my eclipse 12 with that light for some time now and have had great success. I have mushrooms, a bubble coral, Sun Coral, and a few other low/medium light corals. If you want to support some of the higher light corals, you can add another 1x32 supernova (you have to remove the filter to have enough space) or you can go for another retrofit kit.

I really like the eclipse 12 bowfront because of its clean design and having almost nothing protruding from the tank.

Anyways, good luck as you find the perfect nano.

I also have the Eclipse 12 and I am completely satisfied with it. I did trash most of what was underneath the hood though. I started with a SuperNova Retro, which worked well, and then decided to move up to a 96w Powerquad and a 13w Rite-Lite from Lowes. I also replaced the stock filter w/ a AC 150 HOB Filter. Believe it or not, there is a lot of room underneath that hood. IMO, the Eclipse 12 is completely worth it. Good luck!

Archived