Pod Your Reef

using 2x36w PCs.. what corals to grow?

Kara

I have a 10g mantis tank that has about 15 lbs of LR and a 3" sand bed. Currently, it has 2x10w PC bulbs but I am buying a canopy with 2x32w lights to replace them. I am getting a REALLY good deal on the canopy and lights.

I was just wondering what types of coral I can grow under these lights. I'm sure softies and lps will love it, but will I be able to grow healthy sps?

I tried doing a search for specific information from other people using 2x32w PCs but the search engine won't take words under 3 letters, making the search fairly fruitless. :blush:

ELGORDOINAVW

you could keep softies(xenia,zoos, shrooms) and you might be able to keep lps like f(rogspawn, torch, hammer coral, flower pot).

well i hope this helps also look at the member tanks you'll see that alot of people use the same amount of lighting that way you can see what they keep.

Not to start a war, but I have 2x36W PCs, and I grow whatever I want. My tank has been running for almost two years (December 2001). I currently have Softies, LPS, and SPS in my tank. I recently added a HOB refugium, and am upgrading to the CustomSeaLife 2x40W w/moonlite because my DIY hood has seen better days. Here is a list of my coral collection...

- Neon Green Tree

- Red Cactus Coral

- Baby Blue Candy Coral

- 3 types of button polyps

- Green Trachy brain

- Toadstool Leather

- Green Favia Brain

- Red Sea Xenia

- Orange Montipora

- Elkhorn Montipora

- Green Acropora

- Derasa Clam (not a coral, but it seemed appropriate to list it here)

I feed DTs or Reef Solution or Golden Pearls a couple of times a week and do a 50-60% water change once per week. Since I have added my refugium, I may do a smaller quantity on the water changes in the future, but I haven't so far.

The SPS are right near the top, but the clam is in a bottom, front corner and has doubled in mass twice in a year (it was only 1.5" inches when I got it).

I will try to get some photos soon. I don't have a digital camera personally, so pictures are few and far between. Let me know if you want more setup info.

-James

I'm sorry; I got mislead from your headline. Under 2x32W PCs (which I had previously, also from CSL) I grew brown Montipora very well. I suspect that Orange Montipora would be OK, but I would shy away the Acropora, personally. My Derasa has been around since the 2x32W, but looks better now (fuller mantle, more rapid growth). I got rid of the 2x32W Retrofit Kits because one shorted out and almost caught on fire (I had them running screenless over an open top without waterproof endcaps- smart;)). Now I have the AHSupply kits, which will be sold when the new light comes in. HTH.

-James

I've been using 2x36 from ahsupply for as long as Dionaea, and I have had good success with one acropora, and one monti cap. I've been converting (slowly) more to SPS than softies now. You might be able to run 36w bulbs though, but I think you can.

Check out the groth photos on my page and see if you can grow healthy sps or not!

Dionaea - would love to see a photo of your tank!

• 1 month later...

Archived