Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Have I got this right?

DukeB

Hi all,

I'm in the early stages of planning/buying parts for a 20 gallon reef setup.

I opted to make my own rock and plan on seeding the dead rock with live rock. Would 3-4lb of good live rock be enough to accomplish this? I'm in no hurry here, I've got all the patience in the world.

I am contemplating buying a bag of that aragonite alive sand to help things along as well. I'm not sure about this stuff though. In my area it is really expensive, and I'm wondering if there would be any benefit to it? The 3-4lbs of live rock would eventually seed a dead DSB, wouldn't it (as well as my dead rock)?

My next question (sorry to throw so many at once)..... If my goal is grow some nice coralline on my rocks (and after the tank has completed it's cycle) is there a particular clean-up crew I should have? I have read some posts that certain members of a cleanup crew eat the coralline algae. So any recommendations you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Duke

:)

If you truly had the patience, then skip the Arag-alive and cycle your live rock in the tank along with the homemade rock.

The Aragalive comes with live bacteria, but not critters (so I've heard) so it will help cycle the tank faster, but that bacteria will grow regardless.

Get some good (cheaper) aragonite gravel/sand, then stick in your rocks and cure the live rock in the tank. Eventually everything will be seeded with bacteria (ie; your biological filter will be set up) and some critters (pods, most likely) from your live rock will spread out to live in your homemade rock and sand.

Though you still get better SAND creatures if you can get some live sand. Maybe trade some sand with fellow hobbiests, or buy a few pounds of LS along with your LR.

V

If you have a really good LFS, just have him scoop some live sand out of his show tank. Thats what I did!! Even if it's only a cup of it.

Thanks,

That is exactly what I needed to hear.

Like I said I'm in no hurry. After having a couple of sucessful freshwater tanks over the last 5 years I'm really excited about the whole reef thing.

Cheers,

Duke

Archived