SaltCritters.com

Ca levels

labrat

Hi all,

Have a quick question regarding Ca levels in my 20 gal tank. It's been established for about a month now and I'm trying to raise the ppm of Ca using lime water in my top off system. I'm using the maximum amount suggested by the manufacture and the levels are still hovering around 300-320 ppm. The tank contains 40 lbs of LR and 20 lbs of LS. I only have a few snails and crabs for now. I'm taking my time before any live stock is added:)! Thanks so much for your help and happy reefing!

Cheers,

Rick

What is the question?

I've had good results (defined as increasing Ca levels) by using limewater (kalkwasser) (actually Mr/s Wages Pickling Lime).

I got my Ca from 320 to 420. How much are you using for 20g? (How much evaporated water are you replacing?) Perhaps you should try adding some aragonite sand to naturally buffer the water and add Ca? What else are you adding? Do you have a lot of coralline growth?

V

I set my tank up with live rock and live aragonite sand. No dosing. Before adding corals, my readings were constantly >450 ppm. Now with several corals (huge torch, frogspawn, xenia, GSP), I am struggling to keep Ca up, mostly reading between 280-320 ppm. I am dosing now with aragamilk every other day. So it is strange that your tank with much less stuff to consume calcium has about the same levels as mine. Something is not right. Check the way you are preparing the limewater, maybe it is not fresh enough?

Archived