Innovative Marine Aquariums

ABS pipe, reef safe?

fuentes925

Hi,

I was at Home Depot and found some ABS pipe fittings that would be perfect to use as a overflow return back in to the aquarium like in the HOB refugiums. I will be able to use it like a bulk head, it's got gaskets and every thing and is 2" wide so it should work ok. Does any body know if the black ABS pipe(sewer/drain pipe) is aquarium safe? Also for regular PVC pipe is it safe to use pipe glue or should I just put things together dry. I wouldn't want to kill any thing due to poisioning from any plumbing work I might do to my nano reef.

Fuentes 925.

the ABS pipe is fine but the pvc glue should definitely be cured for a number of days before using underwater or as piping.

i still try to do certain joints dry or at least with threaded sections with glass/teflon tape. the thinking is that eventually certain sections will need maintenance and you'll have to take it apart again. (just did one section that had been in place for a couple of years) hth

Thanks for the info. How about rubber gaskets do you know if that should be fine to use in the Nano? The rubber gasket's I got have a very strong rubber smell. I could probly soak them in saltwater for a few day's with some carbon to see if it takes the smell away. I just don't want to pollute the tank in any way.

i believe the smell is the plasticizer or rubberizer-whatever and not detrimental as it is not retained by the water but evaporates quickly (hence the strong smell). almost every filter (if not all mechanical filters) have some type of gasket exposure to sw.

the gasket can deteriorate over time from direct exposure to SW tho. i assume it's for incidental contact (gasket) and not soaking by itself. use as a gasket/sealer should be fine.

Archived