Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Xenia Problem!!

NepTuNe-UsD

NepTuNe-UsD

I have recently returned from an extended trip and am frustrated to see that my xenia has multiplied all over my tank, even on top of other corals.

Does anyone have any tips on removing xenia from live rock? The removed xenia will either be given to a LFS or anyone who wants it.

Shave it off using a sharp razor blade. Do it fast, or the xenia will shrink very quickly, making it more difficult to remove. Advertise your xenia in the classified section or trading post here, I am sure many people will want it (don't give it to the LFS).

OxInYourBox

If you can remove the rock I would and take a razor or other sharp edge to scrape it off of the rock. You could rip it off the rock then scrape it off after it's ripped (to avoid any grow back) if you can't remove the LR pieces. As far as it growing over corals-It depends on the coral however xenia will overgrow and kill SPS as I have seen first hand. Your best bet is to scrape it off as well IMO. HTH

NaNO ReeFiN

That xenia grows like a weed in my tank as well. My friend and I are the "unofficial" suppliers of xenia for Aquatic Warehouse and even they don't need our xenia at the moment.. lol

ucsd reefer

NanoReefin -

It cracks me up to how fast that thing grows. But it does look great when kept under control. I actually go to UCSD but I'm up in norcal for the summer. I was wondering when I got back to SD if you could cut me a stalk next time you give it a trimming. Thanks!

-Mike

NepTuNe-UsD

Thanks for all the tips everyone. Im going to start removing the xenia as soon as I figure out where all the extra xenia will go.

UCSD Reefer you are more than welcome to have a stalk or two...or three. I go to USD but I am actually attending summer courses @ UCSD at the moment so im right in the area.

I was thinking about sending some over to Aquatic Warehouse but it looks like you have that covered nano ;). Maybe Ron @ octopus garden will take it...

Neptune I sent you a begging pleading PM......if you have no where for a poor little Xenia stalk to go.....can I talk you out of one or two? I'm having the hardest time getting frags....I'd be more than happy to pay for it and any shipping.....

Thanks

Archived