inTank Media Baskets

royal gramma flicking

dubious49

hi all. just introduced a royal gramma into my tank 5 days ago. it seems to have acclimated fine, although it's quite shy...hiding inside a rock cave most of the time...but coming out to eat when i throw a little food in.

today i watched it swim to the front of the tank where there's an open sand area, flick itself into the sand and then swim back to its cave. it has done this several times tonight and i'm wondering if this is a sign of stress and/or the beginning of ich. it shows no visible signs of any problems...no white spots, fins look healthy, great color, taking food, etc...it's just the behavior that worries me.

should i do anything at this point?

thanks in advance,

chris

Not necessarily!, That is a very common territorial behavior of fishes. Ever seen african cichlids? They do that all the time. I've seen damsels and dottybacks do it too, with no disease.

yes. i thought that too. i have a 55 gallon stocked with africans and they occasionally flick as a territorial behavior. however, it does look like ich as the white spots are clearly visible on the gramma's head and tail this morning. started feeding with garlic and treating with "KENT RX-P" which is supposed to be ok for most inverts (i only have a few snails). so we'll see how it goes.

Archived