Innovative Marine Aquariums

Overall best protein skimmer for 40 breeder

animalrie

I have the same tank and sump. I found it very difficult to find a skimmer that fit in the sump and gave me enough room for a fuge. I went with an external skimmer. Check out the Octopus EXT-PS-120. I love mine!

You can see pics in my build thread.

Thanks for your reply!

Is there anywhere you can get these skimmers VERY inexpensive? If I set up a 40 breeder, I'm hoping to save some $$$. Also, would this work on a ten gallon sump/fuge?

It's external so you can run it on any size sump. I paid $250 for mine shipped from oceansaquariums.com

It looks like a really good skimmer, but I'm looking for one a little less pricey.

Otherwise, skimmer and lights are going to kill me.

Speaking of which, what would be a good lighting system for a 40b? (Any good pendants for it that won't overheat?)

your either looking for the overall best or your looking for cheap... its not going to be both... if your looking for a cheap skimmer i really like my CSS 65 it runs on my 29g+20g sump... it skims really well for the price (after a few mods) around $100, or you could get a Tunze 9002 DOC around the same price (used, one just is for sale in the classasifides for 105 shipped, great price)

as for light a 40g breeder i think we will have to know what you plan on keeping, you could either run 2 150w MH or 6-8t5s... they both have pros and cons... reason i say 2 MH is cause the spread on them wont be long enough for that size tank

that would be fine but u will still need 2 of them.

I see.

Here is a bit of a change to my questions:

What is the best protein skimmer for a low price?

What is the best lighting setup with low heat output for a low price?

:P

I see.

Here is a bit of a change to my questions:

What is the best protein skimmer for a low price?

What is the best lighting setup with low heat output for a low price?

:P

try to find used. u can save alot of money this way.

Don't plan on saving money. Get good crap now (or save for it)... or else you'll just end up getting it down the road after you've got the crappy stuff.

I'm a big fan of coralife skimmers. You could get by just fine with a CSS65. I ran one on my 40 breeder until just recently, and have zero complaints. The only reason I'm not using it now is because I upgraded to a CSS125. You really should look around for a used skimmer, there's great deals being offered all the time. I got my CSS125 (practiacally new) for $60 shipped from a guy on RC.

Amerijuanican

Octopus 150 PS and a 36" Current USA 2 x 150W MH HQI Sunpod. I would recommend 2 separate lights because a single light will have a hard time lighting the whole tank adequately.

not if you got the sunpod... if you get a retrofit yes you will have to do some work and it might not look as nice.. however if your trying to save some money this is where i would do it (but i like to DIY)

EDIT: and Uhuru is just rubbing our face's in his kick ass skimmer... jerk :D

Archived