Innovative Marine Aquariums

protein skimmer question.

james5593

I got a Rio skimmer for my 20long. It seems to be working good (other than the noise) but I am still not sure what the removed crap should look like. So far it seems to produce a liquid that is almost the color of tea. For some reason I thought it would be a thicker gunk. Here is a pic of what collects in the cup. It has been running for about 4 days now.

post-19125-1208168846_thumb.jpg

Oceanic 30g

That looks very watery. Skimmate should be dry and darker. How long has the tank been up and what do you have in it?

Not dry, but dryer. If the skimmer cup was half that full but twice as dark it would be more concentrated and people would say that it looked pretty good. Your skimmer would be skimming slightly more efectivly and eficiently but if thats all the better skimmate you get out of that skimmer, thats still better than nothing. Thats also not bad for a skimmer thats not broken in or fine tuned.

That looks very watery. Skimmate should be dry and darker. How long has the tank been up and what do you have in it?

The tank has been set up for about 3 months. I transfered my 12 nano over to it. I have some small corals (no load) and 3 fish. 1 clown,1 hawk, and 1 green clown goby. I also have about 12to 15 red leg mexican hermits ,a brittle star and 1 emerald crab. I feed 1/4 to 1/2 cube of mysis per day and apx 20 drops of phytofeast for my corals 2 -3 time a week.How long does it take to break in a skimmer? Never used one before.

quote name='mpatzer' date='Apr 14 2008, 08:01 AM' post='1594744']

Not dry, but dryer. If the skimmer cup was half that full but twice as dark it would be more concentrated and people would say that it looked pretty good. Your skimmer would be skimming slightly more efectivly and eficiently but if thats all the better skimmate you get out of that skimmer, thats still better than nothing. Thats also not bad for a skimmer thats not broken in or fine tuned.

How do i fine tune. It seems to produce foamy bubbles that rise to the top and drip down into the cup. Should I try to make less foam?

post-19125-1208178227_thumb.jpg

Should be about 7 -10 days. There are some recent threads about that skimmer. Try a search for more info on that particular one. From what ive read, that skimmer is getting very mixed reviews. but it lookes like your having some good early results. Keep us posted on its performance cause a lot of people could benefit from a cheap and efective skimmer. Like me!!

The more foam the better usually. But you might have to figure out a way to raise the collection cup or the entire unit to get a little dryer skimmate. Someone else with this skimmer might be able to help.

Should be about 7 -10 days. There are some recent threads about that skimmer. Try a search for more info on that particular one. From what ive read, that skimmer is getting very mixed reviews. but it lookes like your having some good early results. Keep us posted on its performance cause a lot of people could benefit from a cheap and efective skimmer. Like me!!

The more foam the better usually. But you might have to figure out a way to raise the collection cup or the entire unit to get a little dryer skimmate. Someone else with this skimmer might be able to help.

Thanks. I will update after 1 week (this friday). I will take some more pictures of the waste for comments.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it has been about 3 weeks with my skimmer. It seems to be producing a lot better skim now. I have had to restart the venturi a couple of times because the bubbles were not making it all the way up. I have never lost water flow so the filter part seems to be working with no issues but like I said the skimmer has stopped a few times. I looked this morning and found that there is a lot of dark skimate in the collection cup. It is still wattery but does seem to be getting more dense.I will try to post a pic of the skimate sometime either today or tomorrow.

• 4 weeks later...

O.K I am probably about 2 months into my skimmer now. It is making much better skimate now than it did even 2 weeks ago. I thought I would post because the cost of this skimmer/filter is only around $30. For the money you cant go wrong. I will say that I had a redslime problem a few weeks ago and forgot to shut the skimmer off after treatment. Lesson learned because I almost flooded my livingroom. it started to skim like mad and the collection cup filled up with water.I have attached some new pictures and you can see the thick nasty crud that this removes.I have a 20long and it seems to be good. I did have a few problems early on with the skimmer loosing suction but it seems after everything broke in there have been no issues at all. If you get one make sure you wash it out well before using it. There was a ton of oil and some dirt inside after opening.

post-19125-1211503608_thumb.jpg

post-19125-1211503621_thumb.jpg

Archived