Top Shelf Aquatics

10 gallon nano, after rearranging

MrConclusion

MrConclusion

As you can see, I don't scrape the back glass or clean the hardware. Call it laziness!

The only inhabitant not cooperating is the Emerald Mithrax Crab, who is sulking behind a rock.

I just rearranged so you can see open spaces where I plan to add more corals soon. I'l going to look towards adding some blue color to the tank.

NaNO ReeFiN

Great looking frogspawn. Hope you're not planning to add any corals near that little guy though.. haha.

MrConclusion

Thanks!

Yeah, that frogspawn has become a monster. It was 5 heads when I bought it almost a year ago, now it has branched to 13, and two of them are splitting now. In a few months I'll be moving and I plan to frag a major piece of it out into a 30 gallon cube.

That 10 gallon is running with a converted Eclipse hood. I took the two NO tubes out of it and converted it to two 28 watt PC bulbs. One is a 10,000 K the other is actinic (Corallife brand tubes, manufactured by Panasonic) If anyone's interested I have some step-by-step photos of the conversion, and a parts list on an old thread at:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=10065

I am running the eclipse "filter" without media except for a little bag of PhosGuard and the biowheel. You can also see a little Micro-Jet pump near the 50-watt EJ heater. That's all there is running the tank.

Contents are 18 pounds of "Fiji Pink" live sand (it's the Arag-Alive bagged stuff) and 16.5 pounds of Florida Aquacultured live rock.

Those button polyps in the front left hand side all grew from a single polyp who came in as a hitchhiker! That's probably the coolest unexpected thing that happened.

The most "contrary-to-popular-opinion" thing I do is my water change procedure. I use Reef Crystals mixed to 1.023 and 79 degrees. Every two weeks, I change 25% of the water three times in a row, spaced out over 2 or 3 days. With the dilution factor, that gives me an actual water change of about 55%, but spaced out over two or three days.

I find it very easy to mix 2.5 gallons of water in a 3 gallon bucket, with a Mini-Jet mixing it and an old Visi-Therm heater tempering it. After a few hours, I just siphon out the tank, then put the hose onto the Mini Jet in the bucket to let it pump the new water up into the tank. The trick is, remember to unplug the bucket heater!

Since all of the water change equipment is sitting out ready to use, I just fill it back up and do another 2.5 gallons. Honestly, I sometimes only do 2 changes, but usually it's three in a row. Lots of you will think I'm nuts to do it, but the corals love it.

Wow you have the same lighting setup as I do, the same massive tank dominating frogspawn and the same rediculous coraline growth as I do. I think our tanks are brothers :D

BTW I like your tank a lot!

Archived