Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

10 gallon tank build on a budget :)

singmealullaby

airman_verde04
I'm thinking about adding some moonlights myself. anyhow i love your tank and can't wait to see some corals in there. any ideas on stocking? the frogspawn i have is doing well so I think we're safe with most LPS, i heard someone keep sps high with the light we have... but I'm too scared to risk it.

You got me man, my tank hasn't even finished cycling, so I would ask around for stocking with the nova. I'm still just learning the names of the coral that are in my tank now.. maybe if you have a LFS as cool as the one where I live, they can steer you in the right direction.

oh, BTW, did what did you do with your Koralia nano? I'm still up in the air about getting one. I went to the LFS, they said I should just wait till I start getting live stock.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
singmealullaby
You got me man, my tank hasn't even finished cycling, so I would ask around for stocking with the nova. I'm still just learning the names of the coral that are in my tank now.. maybe if you have a LFS as cool as the one where I live, they can steer you in the right direction.

oh, BTW, did what did you do with your Koralia nano? I'm still up in the air about getting one. I went to the LFS, they said I should just wait till I start getting live stock.

i still have the nano in there with the aquaclear powerhead and both provide alot of flow. The nano just by itself doesn't provide a ton of flow, so the koralia 1 could be an option... it really depends on what kinda flow rate you want in your tank. good luck with your choice though, i'm sure whatever you choose it will turn out fine. :)

maybey you could put two of those 18" side by side and have like 80 watts of t5 over 10 gallons

I've never used t5's, except recently for my fuge, so I dont know how they compare to PC's, (PC's aren't all I use - on the contrary, actually I use almost all MH) but if you're looking for an 80W fixture, I have an 80W, 20" Current fixture, that has adjustable legs that would fit nicely on an 18"

Its got two Moonlight LED's

I'm considering getting rid of it, if you might be interested, let me know....

singmealullaby
maybey you could put two of those 18" side by side and have like 80 watts of t5 over 10 gallons

i actually thought about that but decided to wait for the current 6 bulb t5 ho fixture coming early june. the 40 watts i have isn't too bad, my frogspawn is doing really well and everything else is still alive :). still, i'm really anxious to see that new current fixture.

singmealullaby
I've never used t5's, except recently for my fuge, so I dont know how they compare to PC's, (PC's aren't all I use - on the contrary, actually I use almost all MH) but if you're looking for an 80W fixture, I have an 80W, 20" Current fixture, that has adjustable legs that would fit nicely on an 18"

Its got two Moonlight LED's

I'm considering getting rid of it, if you might be interested, let me know....

i'd like to stick with t5s because of the low heat and high par output. good luck selling your fixture if you do decide to.

singmealullaby
how long is the new 6 bulb thats coming out and do you know what it will cost?

the new t5 ho fixture is gonna be 20" long, as for price i don't really know :huh: , although i'm pretty sure it's gonna be within the range of the nova extreme pros they have now. i can't wait to see em!

singmealullaby
how are your colors staying?

everything looks pretty much the same as when I got them color wise, but I've only had them for like a month so I think it's too soon to tell if they'll change color. my coralline is doing really well under this light though. i was planning on getting that 6 bulb nova extreme, but i just got a new macbook :happydance: so no new tank things for a looong time.

the new t5 ho fixture is gonna be 20" long, as for price i don't really know :huh: , although i'm pretty sure it's gonna be within the range of the nova extreme pros they have now. i can't wait to see em!

Where did you get this info from? Do you have a link?

hey ocean, here's the link where i first learned about the light.

http://ikescurrent.blogspot.com/2008/02/sneak-peek.html

I also sent an email to current asking about the release date and fan a couple days ago and they responded super fast.

Thanks singmealullaby,

You would think that blogger would show better photos and give a little more important information like total watts :angry:

Looking at the photo I only see two switches and two power cords I'm guessing 3 t5's on each cord.

Looks like two fans also (probably loud as hell)

singmealullaby
Thanks singmealullaby,

You would think that blogger would show better photos and give a little more important information like total watts :angry:

Looking at the photo I only see two switches and two power cords I'm guessing 3 t5's on each cord.

Looks like two fans also (probably loud as hell)

no problem. and your right, i think it will be pretty loud cause it's gonna use the same fans as the outer orbit lights they have, seems like everything they make is loud... -_- . but i guess you could try to replace the fans with quiet pc ones since the t5 won't put out much heat.

Nice tank! I like the pink fiji better than the black tahitan. Don't know why, but it really made the tank look cleaner or something. I don't know. I liked the black, but I love the pink. =)

singmealullaby

hey guys! sorry for being so long with the reply, i just got done with finals week :happydance: and have been really swamped lately. i'll try to post a more detailed update soon.

xxReidxx: thanks Reid, and the guy from current didn't give me an exact date, just beginning of June... which is about now!

Captain: thanks! i think the lighter sand reflects more light making the tank brighter...? but Tahitian moon sand will always have a place in my heart... ;)

nanoreef-R: hey there nano, i'll try to post a picture update. my new percula is doing really well, she's so CUTE and small, but I'm actually thinking of giving her up, it's gotten harder to keep the water quality perfect, which kinda bugs me... i'll let you guys know.

hey guys! sorry for being so long with the reply, i just got done with finals week :happydance: and have been really swamped lately. i'll try to post a more detailed update soon.

xxReidxx: thanks Reid, and the guy from current didn't give me an exact date, just beginning of June... which is about now!

Captain: thanks! i think the lighter sand reflects more light making the tank brighter...? but Tahitian moon sand will always have a place in my heart... ;)

nanoreef-R: hey there nano, i'll try to post a picture update. my new percula is doing really well, she's so CUTE and small, but I'm actually thinking of giving her up, it's gotten harder to keep the water quality perfect, which kinda bugs me... i'll let you guys know.

noooooooooo dont do that!!!! :angry:

get somthing like this it works great and is cheap!!!

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageA...&ProdID=309

\

but dont get rid of her!

• 2 weeks later...
singmealullaby

sorry xxreidxx, i'm having trouble getting my camera to work with my new macbook. it might be a while till i get some new pics up.

nanoreef-R: hate to say it, but i traded her in. my water is perfect once again. :flower:

airman_verde04

Hey man, thanks for stopping by my tank page! I've mostly been doing a lot of basic work to the tank, as you know the ATO I put on it, well its working great!! actually got to see it in action!! its so cool.. haha.. anyways, I'm wanting to take a break from adding anything with the tank till the fall or winter.. I might then change the rock work around a little bit in my tank (I like the big flat rocks I got.) I want to keep the large middle one, and still have a cave somewhere in there. I'm waiting on my shroom to start colonizing, the xeina in my tank is just taking over the rock they are on.. i need to frag my zoa to a different spot in the tank.. so its not bullied out by the xeina. my calcium just wont come up.. its not death to corals low, but I don't think and coral would do so hot.. and the wife might want to upgrade to a ADA cube tank next year, so I might just wait to mess with anything new till then..

anyways.. hey, which bulbs do you have in your nova extream? are they the stock bulbs? it just seems you have a cleaner blue color than mine.. I dont know if it was just the black sand, or just how your pictures come out.. I'm waiting till its time to replace the bulbs (in a year) to try anything new.. but I like the clean blue look.. (I love blue in general) anyways.. I really miss your black sand.. haha.. not to make you feel bad, I like my white sand.. but I started a Pico.. when I actually set it up I'm going to put black sand in it..

singmealullaby
Hey man, thanks for stopping by my tank page! I've mostly been doing a lot of basic work to the tank, as you know the ATO I put on it, well its working great!! actually got to see it in action!! its so cool.. haha.. anyways, I'm wanting to take a break from adding anything with the tank till the fall or winter.. I might then change the rock work around a little bit in my tank (I like the big flat rocks I got.) I want to keep the large middle one, and still have a cave somewhere in there. I'm waiting on my shroom to start colonizing, the xeina in my tank is just taking over the rock they are on.. i need to frag my zoa to a different spot in the tank.. so its not bullied out by the xeina. my calcium just wont come up.. its not death to corals low, but I don't think and coral would do so hot.. and the wife might want to upgrade to a ADA cube tank next year, so I might just wait to mess with anything new till then..

anyways.. hey, which bulbs do you have in your nova extream? are they the stock bulbs? it just seems you have a cleaner blue color than mine.. I dont know if it was just the black sand, or just how your pictures come out.. I'm waiting till its time to replace the bulbs (in a year) to try anything new.. but I like the clean blue look.. (I love blue in general) anyways.. I really miss your black sand.. haha.. not to make you feel bad, I like my white sand.. but I started a Pico.. when I actually set it up I'm going to put black sand in it..

thanks for coming around these parts! :) i like the rockwork you have now, but i guess things can always be better with a little tinkering... i had calcium problems too until i changed my salt mix, now i use seachem reef salt and my calcium levels have been really good. calcium problems always seem to be either the salt mix or the actual test kit. good luck with that though, i know calcium can be a pain sometimes. :angry:

the bulbs on my nova are actually the stock ones. i think it's probably just my camera, they're probably putting out exactly the same light i think. anyhow i can't wait to see the new pico, let us know when it comes around the corner. ;)

Very nice tank.....

thanks baugherb! :flower: i'm making major changes soon, i hope i get my camera to work by then!

Archived