inTank Media Baskets

Carnation Coral???HELP!!!

Nanu Nanu

Has anyone have any good experience with a Carnation Coral. I made a very bad decition to purchase one, I just found out it wasnt for a beginer. I know I should have done research first but that was the mistake, and I'll learn from that. I have a 18gal. tank and cycled my tank for a month, amonia rate is at 0. I just bought some liquid food today and I got some in my tank now. The last advise I got from another website was to donate it and get another type of coral, that aint going to happen. I spent a crazy $30 for this guy, I'm not going to give up till it dies. So please help me for the life of a Carnation Coral. Thanks:| X) ???

Originally posted by Nanu Nanu

The last advise I got from another website was to donate it and get another type of coral,  that aint going to happen.  I spent a crazy $30 for this guy, I'm not going to give up till it dies.  So please help me for the life of a Carnation Coral.  Thanks:| X) ???

EDIT: Decided to change my post, I was a royal @$$hole when I posted earlier:blush: Bottom line is, just realize that $30 is about average, if not cheap, for a coral. Please make sure you remember this for the future and research EVERY coral or creature before you decide to buy it. If you're not having success with this coral, take it back to the store for your money back, a trade, or if you're LFS isn't willing to do either of those, outa the goodness of your heart? Just realize that this hobby comes with a lot of ethics and keeping your coral until its death, just because you spent $30 on it, seems kinda irresponsible to me. Either way, best of luck!

~Joel

As Jandree22 said, $30 isn't anything at all for a coral, most of the coral I like are at least double to triple of that, a rose BTA can sell up to $150-$200 a piece and it probably die faster then your carnation if you don't know how to take care of it, but anyways, read up on it and u will know how to take care a non photosynthesis coral, try your best to make it happens, if it really dies, then a $30 lesson for you, everybody must have their first experience, but u learn from them right? so go buy some plankton and a syringe immediately and feed the poor little thing, u should put it under low lighting but high water flow, that's kind of tricky, u don't need to worry about the coral shrink at first, coz it will, but if it grows well, it will expand again, oh and check out if the little "flowers" open or not, they will sometime open in the daytime and should open at night, if they don't open for 2-3 days, well, just take it back, coz they won't live anymore, u MUST make sure the little flower opens, coz if the flowers don't open at all, the coral won't be able to get food, they don't open may due to your water parameter and other little things, so don't even waste your time on it if the flower don't open, anyways, read read read and learn, good luck.

Last night I did a bunch of research on Carnation Coral or so called Dendronepthya. First of all I'd like to thank yall for all your replies. Second is that I learned alot from this experience, research, research, research. That's all it takes pretty much for a better life for aquarium livestock. Today I returned the Carnation Coral to the LFS, and guess what the LFS told me. He said I should'nt do research online and I should go to a book store. This could be true in a scene that I could learn more about Coral's but the thing I needed was true experience. Last night I found an article on Dendronepthya's. It specifically said that LFS should inquire to customers that Dendronepthya's (Carnation Coral) are for expert hobbyiest. For the fact that it's just gonna go to waste for a newbie like me. For all the other newbies like myself go on and getting Corals that they dont know much about ruins the livestock of the ocean. Divers now have to go get more corals that are not abundant in the ocean. Well that was the whole thing pretty much about that article. Maybe it works both ways, I should have done my research first. The whole thing made me kinda upset that the LFS didnt advise me that the Carnation Coral was for beginners. When I first started on saltwater fish a month ago he was the first store I went to, and to test my water. After this whole experience with this LFS I felt that he was just in it for the money, or trying to get rid of a specie that no one but a sucker like me to buy. So now I just ended up with credit from this store, and I'm gonna do more reseach right now on what is a good starter coral. Once again yall thanks alot for your commants.

I'm very glad to hear that you took it back, you made a really good decision there;) I don't, however, think it's a bad idea to research online. On the contrary, I think sometimes its better than books because while books that are in print become obsolete, information on the internet is constantly adapting to new methods, discoveries, and techniques. Granted you gotta make sure the information you read is reputable...

Anyways, for a starter coral, I'd recommend mushrooms or polyps. Most of them are pretty hardy. After you use your store credit, pull out the yellow pages and start lookin for a new LFS. For him to not mention anything about the carnation is ludacris. He's either in it for the cash or he's just plain stupid about the hobby.

GL

~Joel

Originally posted by Crakeur

drop pennies in their reef tanks

LOL!:D that's, that's HORIB.........hm, a GREAT IDEA!:pirate:

(jk, don't do it, for the reef's sake:P )

Nanu Nanu, I had a Carnation and kept it alive for 3 months then traded it. It was a pain to keep it up. The feedings were the worst. It constantly required feeding and so with such a small tank I had to do W/C's often.......sometimes 2x a week at 1-2g in my 12 gallon tank. If I didn't then my tank would spike in ammonia and algae. It was hard, but just to see the colors were amazing.

I'd never ever do it again. I'd really wish they'd stop selling them. Too much to handle IMO.

Good luck hopefully you won't have the same problems I did.

Archived