Coral Vue Hydros

I have Aiptasia, now lemme get some things straight...

Dennis_said

Dennis_said

I can't find them... they're too small... all I know is I saw one yesterday at one spot and today it disappeared... I can't find the small guy!

So... a peppermint shrimp seems like the best way to go yeah??

But would it be adding too much to this setup?

15g long

4g fuge

2 cleaner shrimp

Planning on 3-4 fish...

Would adding a peppermint be overdoing it on shrimp?

Dennis_said

Thanks absolutc ... one last thing is... is there ANY indication that I might find one that will for sure eat aiptasia vs. one that won't? Haha, probably a dumb question but I want my chances to be as great as possible

It really is hit or miss with them. If you only have 1 or 2 aiptasia, mix up some kalk or use white vinegar and inject them. Do not touch them or make them expell their evil germs. Otherwise you will have many more.

Get a needle from a pharmacy or a vet and filler up. About 1cc should do for each one. Do not exceede 5ccs for a 7 gal or smaller.

NaNO ReeFiN

Peppermint shrimps are either hit or miss when it comes to eating aptasia. Unless you were to get one from someones tank that was known for eating aptasia, odds are probably 50/50.

And what kind of fish were you you planning on having in your 15? 3 - 4 seems like a lot...

Dennis_said

The thing about shooting kalk or boiling water or whatever into them is that... I can't find them.... I've looked thoroughly though my tank too =

Dennis_said

Aptasia is a neusance pest anemone that clings onto live rocks and wreak havoc all over the aquarium if let to multiply... they will go after fish, corals and everything that they can get their tentacles on...!

Strange thing is that I've had three that showed up on a clump of small red feather dusters about a year ago, and they have never multiplied. They have grown to about 3 inched across. Just lucky so far I guess.

aiptasia grow and multiply quickly if they have alot of light and/or are fed alot. They'll grow like a plague if you feed things the tank meaty things like brine shrimp or have really bright lighting.

You aiptasia must not have had enough light. I think your new 70W Mh bulbs will stimulate their growth. Keep an eye on the aiptasia once you install your new more powerful lighting.

I have a question. How do you guys get your hypodermic needles for injecting aptasia? I went to a pharmacy and they wouldn't sell one to me because I didn't have a prescription. She asked what I wanted it for. Oh lord you should have seen the faces of the people in there when I tried to explain it. Still wouldn't sell it to me.

I went to another pharmacy and asked for one, and the girl just stared at me and slowly shook her head. Didn't even say anything. She looked at me like I was some heroin junky that was about to die if I didn't get a hit.

I JUST WANT A NEEDLE! I have 1 aptasia. ONE! sheesh.

AbSoluTc:

You want to get ride of a couple of them? I'll throw then in my 55gl. They cannot hurt anything in there!!

Korbin

Yep that it what it is. I get mine out of the 'solo-jec 7' dogs shot kit , located in there little fridge for medications. It may cost you $4.00 for one, but at least that way you'll have one.

Korbin,

I can help you with your problem getting one, my mom is a nurse and i can send one over to you even maybe 2. Shipping shouldn't be a problem seeing as its only going to be like a couple of dollars.

email or pm me sometime

I had this problem awhile ago. Dropped in 2 pep shrimp and starved the the tank for a week. Couple of days later little to no aiptasia in my tank. I had a huge out break. They did a great job.

Archived