SaltCritters.com

HOB Necessary?

Aquatic_Love

Not necessary IMO...but then again..you haven't told us what ELSE you're putting on the tank for flow and gas exchange. If you've got plenty of powerheads, including some pointing at the surface, or a skimmer, you're good on the gas exchange. Depending the corals you choose to keep (and don't say..oh just some mushrooms and some softies..because everyone says that when they start and then they get sick and tired of the boring drab colored corals and go out and buy some LPS or SPS..lol), you're going to need a lot more flow than even a HOB can provide..since most don't use them for "filtration" but more for gas exchange and current anyway. Seriously...20 to 30 times tank volume per hour is not an unusual turnover rate...especially, I've found, in nanos..just to keep everything moving. If you send back tank specs and "flow specs" (the amount of powerheads/flow devices you have/are planning to have) we can probably help you more...

HOB is good to have just in case you want to run some media like carbon and or floss for emergency purposes or just to keep your water nice and clear.

Ok so HOB filter to run carbon, i cant head to the lfs now to figger this out. But how exactly do you run carbon with the HOB filter?

the hang on back filter is made to run carbon and a pad...this is the whole purpose of one to run chemical and mechanical filtration. they are not for circulation as much as filtration and water cleansing. mnay hob companies sell their own brand of pad that fits right into the filter that has floss and carbon in one. i use mine jsut for circulation, added water volume and the ability to add carbon if needed.

jsut make sur eyou have enough flow...i love to have a hang on back jsut in case...at least one on hand in backup in case of an emergency such as a death of a fish or something else...some kind of contamination or any other deaths...even cloudy water.

westkyracer

Get a cheap one at walmart that has the cardridges with it. I use mine after water changes to polish off the water quicker. That is also where I put the fish food and chems in at so I dont have to take the hood off. The food gets pushed to the bottom of the tank where the crabs get it before the fish do. It is just a convenience to have. Also it is bringing water from the bottom of the tank to the top.

For my 7-gallon, I run an ounce of SeaGel (in a media bag) in my HOB all of the time (SeaGel is a mix of carbon and PhosGuard). This is helpful because I feed Golden Pearls which contain Phosphates.

HOBs are also handy to clear up your water (by putting in a cartridge) after you do a little cleaning or aquascaping. After the water has cleared, remove the cartridge and just run SeaGel or carbon (cartridges will produce Nitrates if left in).

Archived