Pod Your Reef

I just wanted to vent...damn evil crab

tau626

I Put my new ricordia today and was watching them glow in the moonlight, suddenly my emerald crab walked up to it and took a big chunk out of it...it looked like a big drumstick...he sat there and chewed it and then he looked at me and said " nice $40.00 meal...where you get it at? kfc? " little bastard! Since its getting late out here I didn't know what to do with him...so he's in a basket...I'll drop him off at the LFS....hopefullly my bubble algea don't come back...

I've read many articles about these crabs( nothing about them eating ricordea) but mine never gave me any problems...I guess their cute at first...evil in the end

anybody want a cute crab?

Hey, I have the same problem. I have a brown emerald crab that came in on my LR. I just added my first coral, an orange ricordia, and caught the crab nipping tenticles off it within two days. Right now its in quarantine until I can make it to the LFS and see if they'll take it. The crab never showed any aggression towards my yellow clown goby or inverts. Thinking about replacing it with a shrimp.

A "brown" emerald crab that came in on your live rock? Um... Are you sure about that ID? I've heard that emerald crabs can change color according to their diet but I have to wonder. Do the claws have pointy tips or flattened tips? True emerald crabs have claws with little flat pads on the tips. I've read that there are some mimic species and the way to tell is by the claws. This may also be the case with the original poster's crab.

Also, your crab may not be getting enough to eat. I think it's good to keep the clean-up crew fed too. The actually tend to do a better job then.

I've had the crab for a few months...he took care of the bubble algea problem....I feed my fish every other day...I don't want to over feed them...but the crab goes still...can't have it eating up my ricodea...

I've had the crab for a few months...he took care of the bubble algea problem....I feed my fish every other day...I don't want to over feed them...but the crab goes still...can't have it eating up my ricodea...

SteveC, I'm 100% positive it is an emerald crab. They can come in different color morphs, don't always have to be green. I've seen pics of a red one before too. Also, its a juvenille and may change. It gets plenty of food, not including what it scraps of the rock with its spoon-shaped claws. It just seems to like the taste of ricordia alot.

well the crab is gone and the ricordea seem to be happy, but my orange ricordea looks all messed up , I think the crab was picking on her over the last week...she'll be ok ( i hope)...anyways I wanted to replace the crab with something I just don't know yet...maybe a cleaner shrimp? I don't think they eat ricordeas...

any advice?

• 6 months later...
Pinrod Urkish

PORCELAIN ANEMONE CRABS! I got some. just be sure they look ALIKE. Mine dont' and it ended up causing them to get in a BIG fight that ripped a hole in the bag on the way home

Archived