Pod Your Reef

AND the Frustration sets in...

Christo

what type of flow(GPM) should i be looking at to achieve clear water on a 46g through my filter sponges, and what type of finer filter material should i be looking at for smaller stuff? 200micron? or smaller?

thanks guys!

Most people have a slow moving sump regardless of tank size. Around 300gph. That would turn you tank over 6 times per hour and should provide plenty of filtration. I just use filter floss, what are you currently using. What kind of problems are you having?

Most people have a slow moving sump regardless of tank size. Around 300gph. That would turn you tank over 6 times per hour and should provide plenty of filtration. I just use filter floss, what are you currently using. What kind of problems are you having?

well, ive always had problems with my mechanical filtration, i want really clear water like i assume most people want :). Today i went and bought a filter sock rated at 200microns to try and clear things up but i dont think my sump has high enough flow its only going at about 150g/h so im guessing im going to need a bigger pump, not only that but becuase its fed off of an overflow its not catching most of the stuff lower down, most of the stuff in the water is detritus my systems been up for a while but hasnt had fish in it very long, only about 2 weeks now, so the live rock (about 75lbs) hasnt really started growing algae yet, its starting to now. I have an eheim canister filter but i dont know if i should even bother using that anymore, its rated at about 168g/h and is for a 60g, doesnt really pull much out, what do you think? i have plenty of circulation in the main tank about 25X per hour so stirring the debris up isnt a problem i think thats why its in the water so much i cant really settle. but anyway the only prob i really have is, how do i get the overflow to catch stuff from lower down?

Do you ever use a turkey baster on your rocks to really kick up the detrious? That helps my system to flush everything out. Maybe use the baster, kick everything up and then do a water change.

Do you have a pistol shrimp or anything that might be digging in your sand. My pistol shrimp makes the water look like crap whenever he starts a new project.

I doubt it's the size of the filter. I think you should be able to resolve this with just flow. A protein skimmer would also help here I think.

Archived