Cultivated Reef

Weird tough purple branchy thing

Chupacabras

Chupacabras

Hi all,

I just started up my 20L with 30lbs of live rock and 40lbs of Oolite. The tank is still cycling up but this thing that I assumed was dead and would stay dead is coming back to life. This has only been up for about a week so I have readings in everything (ammonia, trites and trates).

It's tough to see any detail on it but it is kinda rigid with small "flowers" that come out about every 1/4" of its' length. I have another one on a different rock that is starting to come back as well. When you touch the flowers they will retract so I know it's alive, but what is it?

Thanks in advance!

Chupacabras

Here's another shot... each of those dark nubs is a little flower thingy. Not particularly great shots but I can't seem to coax my camera into clean aquarium shots...

powerofslack

These guys usually need to be fed (gorgonians)- they sell them at blane perun's farms at the sea dot org and at garf dot org, so they could probably give you good info on how best to care for the specific type you have there.

technoshaman

I'd also say some kind of gorgonian. Though not 100% always you can generally tell if they are photosynthetic if they have brown/tan polyps - that one would probably like high light/current if it's like my gorgonians! They seem to like phyto occasionally dosed into tank as well.

Chupacabras

Thanks for the extra input reefers! I've been feeding this beastie by just kicking up the substrate around it every few days... seems to keep the thing happy (not to mention it survived a LR tank for goodness knows how long). What's funny is that my LFS sells the same gorg that was attached to my LR for around 90 bucks (they labeled it a rusty gorg)... guess we all get lucky from time to time.

I was hoping to start my corals out with softies but I guess I get to deal with a non-photo right aways :).

BTW: My LFS has one of those blue spotted jawfish for $70... they look great in real life! If you're only gonna have a few fish in the nano, I can't think of a sharper looking bottom dweller than that!

Archived