ReefCleaners.org

polyphosphates? Anyone know are theese bad?

chuckfullservice

chuckfullservice

I have been experimenting with topping off with tap water for a couple of months now with no I'll effects.

My algae has actually decreased! All corals and fish seem fine .

I read in this post that they add polyphosphates! 15ppm I think.

http://www.chiefengineer.org/content/conte...content/790.htm

Just wondering because I'm going to experiment with tap water over ro/di !

I figured since I have not seen any problems in doing top offs this way , I should be ok!

I know it's not recomended but like I said it's an experiment!

Please no comments just use ro/di if I notice any changes in my system I will emediately go back to r/o which is what I was using before!

BKtomodachi

I don't get the point of this post. Your tap water contains phosphates, algae thrives on phosphates. You will likely see an increase in phosphates over time.

Am I missing something?

BKtomodachi

AFAIK They are just polymers of phosphate groups. I would assume they would decompose easily into the monomer units, but I suppose I could be wrong.

Any chemists in the hizzouse?

TheUnfocusedOne

me me me!

im agreeing, it could be polyphosphates from the decomposition of organic materials

phosphate is everywhere in organisms, and is actually where most organisms get thier energy

ever heard of ATP?

Adenosine Triphosphate

i wouldnt worry bout it non

its deff not harmful

unless of course you protenate it n make it into phosphoric acid, not recomended :happy:

itll just make algae grow

chuckfullservice

I found this and thanks for the lesson!

http://www.arvanitakis.com/en/c/Corr_cwt/polyphosphates.htm

Truth be told I don't have a algae problem so the 15ppm probably gets diluted over the course of 40 miles of piping . I beleive it states it bonds to the minerals in the piping. Thus probably minimizing the actual ppm. to less the 15ppm I have test my tank water and my readings are 0ppm phosphate. I never really thought to test it right from the tap though? That probably would have been a smart thing to do ? ;)

I never said I was smart just cute! :D

Archived