inTank Media Baskets

Rio Skimmer

kthehun89

hey so I have a Rio Nano Skimmer on the back of my 5g cube. Some people have said that they are trash but thats not true. After a little adjustment, it consistently skims, and every 2 days it skims about 1 cup. So, for those looking to get one, then I think it is worth the money (about $35).

thanks for listening

I ordered one and it is coming in on 4-10. I have been waiting for about 3 weeks and am anxious to get it. Was it hard to set up?

hey so I have a Rio Nano Skimmer on the back of my 5g cube. Some people have said that they are trash but thats not true. After a little adjustment, it consistently skims, and every 2 days it skims about 1 cup. So, for those looking to get one, then I think it is worth the money (about $35).

thanks for listening

+1. I'm happy with mine - easy to set up and skims well.

I ordered one and it is coming in on 4-10. I have been waiting for about 3 weeks and am anxious to get it. Was it hard to set up?

the way it works is that you plug it in and fill the thing with water. That way it can start a suction and pull more water up. It has this rod thing that you can pull up an down to adjust how much air gets in there, causing a skimmate. You can always put your finger over the hole on the rod to pull water back up if it stops the suction.

how much tolerance does it have as to water level in order to operate properly? I mean, does the water level need to be right on to skim properly?

Well, i've had no prior skimmer experience, but the stuff leftover smells bufu bad so i'm assuming that it works.

The water level doesn't have too much of an effect. I mean if it drops allot then it messes with it.

BibleSue has problems with it constantly losing suction and stopping on her tank.

Does anyone have any experience or input on this?

BibleSue has problems with it constantly losing suction and stopping on her tank.

Does anyone have any experience or input on this?

I got my skimmer last night. I also had problems at first with it. I found that I had to take the input tube out and re-insert it. I also let it run for about 45 minutes prior to making any adjustments.It ran all night without loosing suction. Also if you make any adjustmnets to tube make sure that you push down on the input rod. If you do not hold the input rod down than it may come out of the grove that it sits in causing it to loose suction. After about 1 hour it started to make foam and I had some watery skimate this morning.It had a foul oder so I am guessing that is good.I also had some micro bubbles getting back into the tank but that went away after a few hours. Does anyone know the rate that the foam should come up into the tube. My foam slowly come up and sometimes falls back down.Here are a couple of pics.

post-19125-1207909426_thumb.jpg

post-19125-1207909450_thumb.jpg

Archived