ReefCleaners.org

Clownfish

drrivas

A week a go a purchased a False perc. Clown.  It seems to being doing good but I have not yet really seen it eat.  I was told that it was feed mainly brine shrimp at the store.  When I feed it both flakes and brine shrimp it swam towards it but did not eat the food.  It might even nible at it but it will not eat the food in earnest.  What can I do?

Christopher Marks

Welcome to Nano-Reef.com drrivas!

It sounds to me like he's just a little scared still and hesitates to eat.  Something that always seems to get omivores eating is frozen mysis shrimp.  They are high in fat so fish go strait for them.  You won't want to feed it that constant, just here and there, because it's not the most healthiest food.  Eventually it will begin to accept brine and flake.

• 1 month later...

I had the same thing happen to me too. I bought a clown and it wouldnt eat, it would chase the food but wouldnt eat it. He eventually died... so i bought another one and it did the same thing. Let us know if you figure anything out because i would like to get another one.

my tomato pair eat straight out of the bag.......i think if u watch the fish in the dealers tank before u decide to buy u have a better chance of getting a good feeder.....go for one that is a leader of the pack

• 3 weeks later...

my clown (percula or false, I'm not sure) loves Nutrafin slow-sinking pellets, mysis shrimp and broccoli! Yes, occasionally I cut off the very very tips of a tiny bit of frozen broccoli and he loves it. I tried spinach and various seaweeds (prepared for humans) and he doesn't like those, just the broccoli.

Well I took the advise above and began to feed mysis shrimp.  The first day the clown ate a little of it and soon was gobbling it down.  I them started to alternate and mix the mysis with brine shrimp and now he will eat brine shrimp like a pig.  After a few months he has grown and spends more time swimming around, rather than hiding at the top or behind some rock.  Thanks

Archived