Innovative Marine Aquariums

Can someone conduct a test? Brita

KMitch

Hey

I know that PUR and BRITA filters are not RO units, do not remove waste like they do, etc.

But I was curious what a brita or pur filter does to the TDS of water. Can someone test the TDS of their water before and then after running it through one of those filters?

Reason I ask-- I have one of those PUR filters and was wondering that in the event of an emergency, would that be better than straight tap or no difference?

And yes I know RO is the best, but I dont have $100 for one.

No clue what the filter in my fridge does, but it takes the TDS down about 100. Thats from 600-500 though, so its big numbers. I prefer my RO/DI of course, takes it all the way down to 0 in my dorm :)

my advice would be to save up and grab a used RO/DI unit if you see one cheap from your local reef club.

Sadly i live in no whereville. The water I get is desalinated water from the coast, naturally hard with high ph, etc. I also dont have a TDS meter or I would do my own test!

filefish949

I just tested one... result:

FAIL

:)

if you are running a nano, a $100 shipped ebay RO/DI will be quite possably the best investment you can make in your tank

can you elaborate on fail? Was it one of the units that connects to the sink or one of the stand alone jug things?

PUR and brita pretty much just add good mineral flavor to the water and dont filter it that much....You are better off buying ro water in the store

yeah and thats what i usually do, just that it in the event of an emergency, am i better of with running the water thought that

filefish949

while it will help with chlorine, and some TDS, it will do almost nothing fpr phospates, nitrates, chloramines, and heavy metals, copper, arsnic led etc..

get an RO/DI, this is not a cheep hobby

geekreef_05

My impression was the brita /pur filters are just carbon with a simple membrane. Which is helpful, but not near the quality that most aquarists strive for.

You are lucky...I actually tested both Brita and RO/DI when I first got my RO/DI filter.

Tap water: around 90-110

Brita: around 80-100

RO/DI: 000

So Brita filter does remove something via the carbon but I will NOT recommend to use it.

if you are running a nano, a $100 shipped ebay RO/DI will be quite possably the best investment you can make in your tank

Aqua-Safe is a great brand, and they're around $100. I love my RO/DI I got from them on ebay. It's the best investment I've made so far. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I just tested one... result:

FAIL

:)

What he said. It will be the best $100 you have ever spent!!!

Archived