inTank Media Baskets

cycled???

swampy

alright, today is two weeks since the tank was set up. I have been testing my water most of this week, I had a slight ammonia spike about 1-1.25, it is now 0. My nitrates have remained relatively constant at 0. My nitrates are between 0 and 5. Has my tank cycled??? I have read that the cycle may be very small or nonexistent if cured LR is used. Could this be the case?

Also, my LR is full of life, bristle worms, several small stars, lots of amphipods, hydroid jellyfish, some chitons, serpent stars, and peanut worms. I also have one very small feather duster. Everything seems to be doing well and even multiplying in some cases.

I don't want to rush things, just curious what all you experts think and learn in the process!

Here are tank stats:

29 gallons

1.023 salinity

80 degrees

0 ammonia

0 nitrites

0-5 nitrates

34 pounds of cured LR

The LFS quaruntines all there live rock until cured

Thanks,

Swampy

Usually people wait for 3-4 weeks. I have heard that it can be done in 1.5, depending on the size of the tank and other variables. I would wait another week just to be sure.

The tank could be cycled but it's far from stable. I usually recommend to wait a week or two after the cycle appears complete before I add anything. Sounds like everything is cool but I'd wait at least a week to make sure nothing changes.

Cameron

Archived