inTank Media Baskets

Cubby's 5.5

Cubby23

Oh I forgot to mention I added a modded AC 110 refugium and have a ball of chaeto in it. I now have about 7 gallons of water total. I also have put in a whisper filter pack in the old heater slot. Soon I will get some rubble to put in the big section.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks good - my first reef was a 5.5g

It seems like you're doing alot right, but my advice to get even better results would be two things:

1 - bigger light - I had a 175W MH over my 5.5 reef, and let me tell you, my coral ALL was out ALL the time, and it grew like wild fire.

2 - I had 3 HOB filters running on it, and even a mini powerhead at one point - All that flow really made my corals healthy, I would suggest alittle more flow.

But hey - thats just one guys opinion...

It looks good - my first reef was a 5.5g

It seems like you're doing alot right, but my advice to get even better results would be two things:

1 - bigger light - I had a 175W MH over my 5.5 reef, and let me tell you, my coral ALL was out ALL the time, and it grew like wild fire.

2 - I had 3 HOB filters running on it, and even a mini powerhead at one point - All that flow really made my corals healthy, I would suggest alittle more flow.

But hey - thats just one guys opinion...

These are good points, over the next month I am looking into a sunpod. More light I'm sure would help

Haha I think it would almost be hard to get more flow. I am running the 75 GPH powerhead then with a AC 110 which runs at 500 GPH. Thats 575 GPH divided by 5.5 gives me over a 104x turnover rate. Even taking this into consideration I am thinking about switching to a Koralia Nano. I like the look and the gently spread flow, I feel like mine is a little too concentrated and direct.

• 3 weeks later...

The tank is still going really strong, those acans have really taken off and have almost doubled in size. The true perc is growing alot too, he gets ORAGlo and mysis now, the ORAGlo has really been a great addition to the fish's diet. The frogspawn has grown another mouth.

All in all, I LOVE this tank its so interesting.

I will post more pics soon. I am waiting for my new desk so that I can get upgraded to a 10 gallon. Definitely by the end of the summer I hope. I'm just a little low on cash now because I just lifted my Jeep. :)

Tell me what you think!!!

Thanks

Sorry I can't really get a pic now but I will explain it.

The HOB in actually not intrusive at all and I think has really helped my tank. Its about 4.5 inches deep and covers the majority of the back of the tank, I bought it modded and has some great compartments. I would recommend my modded AC 110 to anyone. It also adds turbulence on the surface that will help with gas exchange and of course add volume to your total water capacity making any possible mistakes a little less deadly.

Archived