Pod Your Reef

Sold as "Sun Coral" but what is it?

KamDesai

LFS told me this is a Sun Coral and it would only open at night. When it opens at night it has bright yellow tentacles/polpys that come out of the thing. LFS said it basically opens up to show the polpys and it will expand to about baseball size when fully open. I have had him a few days and the only thing he does is show some small yellow tentacles and a red mouth out of each head. Anyone know what this is and how much light/current/food it needs?

Thanks!

Just searched around and it looks like I have a lot of feeding to do. But I am excited since it is such a beautiful piece.

ironic that they call them sun corals cause they dont need any light. the genus is Tubastraea i believe and they also like high current areas. and you are correct....they need alot of attention and each polyp needs to be fed. good luck, they are really one of the prettiest corals there is.

• 2 weeks later...

i was reading in another thread that a good way to feed them is to cut the bottom off of a 2 or 3 liter bottle cut a small hole in the side and place it over the polyps and inject brine shrimp in with a turkey baster

hope that helps you out

This might help:

1) Drop small nugget of brine in for fish. This is important because it will make the sun coral open up. It will also feed your fish who won't steal from the coral.

2) Use this to feed you coral =>

yeah I had no idea what it was, but then got it feeding, took a picture of it, and added it as an avatar. Funny how things work out.

they are very hard to keep. I've been planning on getting an orange or black one at some point. even have a cave all set up to keep it out of the light.

Good luck with it

Low to no light: not photosynthetic, and high lighting seems to bother them if too bright. I turkey-baste some brine on them every few days. Pop it in a cave, and you can still see them: pretty cool. Just have to keep feeding them, is all.

I have been hugely successful with mine. He has grown several new polyps and eats like a horse every other day. To be honest, to this point he is one of the easiest corals I have in the tank (as long as I feed him of course).

One of the most dazzling corals in the ocean IMHO.

hcts.jpg

yeah thats an awesome sun J. Last night I put my little hood on my guy and was taking the water I thawed the mysis shrimp in and shooting it in. I did this like 10 times so it would get the smell and come out. Its tentacles started to just BARELY and I meanr barely stick out. I Never did get the guy out though. He was right there, he seemed like he wanted to come out, but never did =(.

Originally posted by el_dante

J, you have been hugely successful w/ everything man!  That thing looks awesome!  What's the secret?  Share the knowledge.

Thanks and if only that were true. I can't for the life of me keep an open brain coral alive. I've gone through two now and won't kill another one. Something in my water I guess doesn't work for them. I just love them too :(.

I feed my Sun coral brine shrimp (soaked in some vitamin c) using a turkey baster every other day. I have used zooplankton to trigger a feeding reaction so you might try that Chris.

Hey Jeff thanks for the tip, I have tried marine snow to trigger the little guy but that hasnt worked. Its supposed to be a mixed of a couple zooplanktons, what brand do you use?

Thanks.

Sweetwater Zooplankton. Keep it refrigerated after opening. It keeps for four weeks or so and don't get any tankwater in the jar or it will go rotten fast and when it does .... stand back from the smell!

:)

Archived