Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Glass drilling...

sheffboyrd

I'm trying to figure the best way to drill my 10 gallon so i can plumb some pvc to a undertank fuge. Do you think a cordless drill with a diamond bit attached would do the trick? I don't want ot go out and buy a dremel is the problem. I could check the local glass cutters, but i'm not sure how much they charge. Thanks.

do a search...there are tons of threads on how to do this on the site....most use dremels with a diamond bit....

I know about using a dremel. I promise I've read every post on this board about it. But I'd like to do without buying one just to drill my tank if that's at all possible.

have you gotten the 2nd tank? if not, check with a lfs if they will drill the new tank. maybe you can even get the new 16g bow B)

some lfs (usually the non-chain stores) will guarantee drilling if you buy their tank. around here that goes for about $10~$20 for a hole plus the tank cost.

Drill the tank, Modify lighting, Makes everything fit when at first it doesn't......and it can be used for fragging I hear.

Even if you have the LFS drill the tank, get the dremel...you'll wonder how you got along without it.

well then my question to everybody would be which model of dremel do you guys go with? Obviously the more powerful the better, but what is the best buy in your opinions?

Get the cheapest Multipro kit you can find with the flex shaft. A lot of the bigger kits cost quite a bit more with a lot of bits you may not use for a while.

For the cheapest retail on the various bit (grinders, cutter, etc.), I alway find Sears keeps a great selection for less money than HD and Lowes. They may not say Dremmel on them but they work fine. Also check the web, my problem is when I run out of what I need I can't wait and run to Sears.

The Diamond bit I use on the thin glass is Dremmel part # 7144.

fwiw, the craftsman rotary tool is made for them by dremel. Sears just slaps their brand name on it. I got the craftsman just cause I like the look of it better, but it's really the same thing.

While you are waiting to get your Dremel, go ahead and drill your tank with the hand drill..... I drilled three tanks this week using a diamond bit and a hand drill. My first attempt and everything worked out well. Just remember to put some puddy around the place you are going to drill and fill it with water. Take your time and all will go well......

Dickie

Don't use water. Use vegtable oil. Water does not help for lubrication in glass cutting. Not unless its a steady supply of cold water. Vegtable oil will help with that and keep all glass particles from flying everywhere.

Remember, you don't cut glass, you grind and score it.

well, the plan for me seems to place the 10 gal in the tub under running cold water and drill using a diamond bit and my portable hand drill. I figure it doesn't have to be going incredibly fast because as I understand only having something like 400-600 rpm is ideal for regular glass drilling. And of course I'll make sure to be patient and not put any pressure on the glass. Do you think I still need the puddy for this?

Archived