Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Attempting 10 Gallon Nano-reef

mwaldron

After reading bunches of posts, I wonder if I have the correct equipment to get started:

10L used for freshwater so far

HOT Magnum canister filter

Penguin Powerhead 301

I'm probably going to have to have new lights (according to the beginners posts) and was trying to avoid having a sump pump, because I really don't have that kind of room, and I have a submersible heater, I believe 75W or higher, and wasn't planning on having fish much - maybe one or two tops - but mainly corals.

Question: Could this work?

I understand it would be difficult to maintain and easily changes but was wondering if it would be worth attempting it or not.

Thanks in advance! You people know what you're talking about!

I have a 10g setup. I was recently trying to plumb in a 10g sump, which I aborted for now since the overflow plumbing was very loud.

Here is my advice.

1) Consider a larger tank, unless space is a considerationa (it is for me, hence the 10g with a 10g beneath it) because all the heaters and filters and powerheads take up a lot of space.

2) Don't get TOO MUCH live rock. I got 20 pound for my 10g and it seems I've run out of space in the tank (can you see a common theme?)

3) Consider a protein skimmer. It's a matter of debate, so do web searches for nanos with/without skimmers. I like it, but I have a lot of algae and stuff that I want to kill by skimming away nutrients.

4) Before setting anything up, figure out what you need and set it all up first before buying any LR or LS.

5) YOu might not be using that canister filter. eBay it and get a skimmer if you want tech-filtration.

6) It will work. Some members on this site have AMAZING 10gs and less (notably 7g minibows!), but they are experienced. I am having some troubles due mostly to inexperience. Read more and you will fare better. I'm still on track, but had to stop my sump project to battle some algae and to let the tank stabilize with my cleanup crew/algae warriors.

Good luck! I say go for it, but do more research, get the right equipment and don't sweat it if you can't re-use some of your FW equipment. My biggest piece of advice for anyone starting a reef tank is ... SPEND MONEY. It will save you trouble.

V

Thanks - I'm considering either converting to salt water or keeping it as is, but I'm months away from trying it. Wanting to get all the info that I can! All replies for the better!

westkyracer

Why are you going to use any kind of filter? The only thing I am using my filters for is water movement.

When you put the Live Rock in it is taking place of the filter. That is how we are able to make the NANO work figure atleast 2 lbs per gallon of water.

Archived