SaltCritters.com

Hitchhikers: Snail and Pods

new2reef

I have looked thru the forums and have not been able to find an exact match, so hoping someone might be able to id or confirm my guesses.

#1 is a small snail with a cone shaped red shell - have been able to id all my other small hitchhiker snails;

2187_Rad_Cone_Snail.JPG

#2 is I think an amphipod of some sort that burrows in the sand - I have a ton of smaller pods on rocks and glass, but what are these?

2190_Burrow_Pod.JPG

2196_Burrow_Pod.JPG

#3 is, I think, a sphaeromatid isopod that came as a hitchhiker on some corals I bought today. When touched it rolls up and it has three "horns" that stick out from the rear:

2223_Sph_Pod.JPG

#4 has not picture, they are pod or shrimp like things that come out at night. Body has a bit of red on back and they tend to swim in circles, then disappear with light or I approach the tank.

Thanks for any help.

BKtomodachi

Destroy #3 immediately, and any others you find.

The others look fantastic, and are wonderful additions to the biodiversity of your tank.

Thanks for the reply. #3 is gone - hope no others have made their way into tank.

Is #2 just an amphipod or something else? I notice larger pods that come out from the rock at night as well as these that seem to live in the sand.

Archived