Pod Your Reef

How many snails for a 5G?

Mnemic

I've got a 5G tank, and I'm not sure how many snails I need to have for it. I know I don't want any crabs in my nano, so I'm staying away from them.

I've got in there right now 2 hitchhicker Turbo snails, and they seem to be doing well, but I want to add 5 Cerith, and 5 Nassarius into the tank as well.

Would that be too much for a 5g?

Also for the bio Load Would 1 Small Clown and 1 Cleaner Shrimp/Fire Shrimp be too much of a bio load on the tank?

I was thinking 1 fish and 1 shrimp with the snails would be all the livestock I want aside from some corals.

Just a 5G tank that I do daily top off, and Weekly water changes with.

Thanks

-Paul

the ceriths should be fine. the nass you could cut back to a couple. there might not be enough substrate to sustain five. also depends upon their size but the commercial ones are typically much larger than commercial ceriths (1 cm+).

1-clown and 1-shrimp should also be fine.

are the turbos real turbos? then two may be too much (again depending on size but figuring hitchhiking size you should have a couple of years before they reach critical mass). if they're astrae snails then you could even add 1~2 more imo.

I've been running basically the same tank you are talking about for 6 months now without any problem. I also have a firefish goby in there... just watch your water quality carefully... live rock and a skimmer would help as well.

Ack, didn't even realize I forgot that.

I've got about 7-8 lbs of Live Rock in the Tank, as well as 2-3" of sand.

Not sure I will add a skimmer on the system. I'd rather do weekly water changes, then worry about how to get a skimmer on the tank.

Thanks for all the input guys! :)

Archived