Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Poll: HOB Refugium - HOB Fuge or Converted HOB Filter??

southpaw23

Hi...

I've been debating for quite a while now on which one of these two routes to take....my problem is that i don't have access to an aquafuge in Malaysia and was planning on building a glass tank with a similar design to the aquafuge or the one that accrilicity builds....and the other option would be to go for a normal HOB filter (between the size of an AC 300 and 500) and convert it to a HOB Fuge.....

Here's the pro's and con's that i see in both....

Aquafuge design

Pro:

1. Larger volume (approx 4-5g) allowin for more room for macroalgae

2. able to have a DSB to assist in denitrification

3. safe refuge to grow pod population (do i need to worry about how the pods are makin their way back to the main tank?)

4. able to add carbon when needed (though i haven't really figured out how i'll be able to do it or place it)

Cons:

1. Need to address overflow issues when power get's cut off....

2. doesn't offer much added flow to tank (i could be wrong here)

3. doesn't break water surface (which i suppose could be countered with a simple overflow box)

4. Lastly having to figure out how to place the fuge behind the tank, glass would be too heavy to hang on the back of the tank. I was planning on just sitting the fuge at the back of the tank at an elevated height (but that would mean i need a deeper stand than what i already have.)

HOB Filter

Pro:

1. Simple and easy, able to use right out of the box

2. breaks water surface and adds to overall flow rate in tank

3. safe refuge to grow pod population (would too much flow hinder their population growth?)

4. Able to add carbon when needed

Cons:

1. Small size not allowing for much macroalgae (is this sufficient in aiding in the removal of phosphates and nutrients?) - Frankly one of my biggest concerns followed by the lack of a DSB

2. Not able to have a DSB to aid in the denitrification process

3. Possible flow issues (although there is a control on the HOB to limit it's flow...i don't know if the reduced flow is still not too strong for the fuge)

Sorry for the long thread....i haven't been able to set up the tank yet coz i'll be moving in 2-3 months and don't wanna have to go through the hassle of transporting a cycled or stocked tank...so i've had nuthing better to do but research, research and more research... :P

Well....do tell which route you would pick if you had the choice to do it all over again...and if you're already happy with the route you picked...lemme know which one that would be......

I just made a home made refuge for about $35.00. I used a large hang on specimen container (holds about 1 gallon). A power head was placed in the container with the outlet in the main tank. An inverted U pipe (green in color) was used as the inlet. If there is no air in the inverted U tube, as the power head pumps water out, the U will suck water in. I glued some acrylic sheets into the container to make separate compartments. Haven't populated the fuge to much yet, but will soon.

It may not look to pretty, green was kinda my last choice, but it works like a charm.

I was at my local FS lookingfor parts and he had one that he used for transfering large fish. The one I got was part of an old Supreme Aquamaster PL power filter (about 12" x 5" x 7"). I have seen a "large specimen container" made by Lee's, online at Dr Fosters and Smith but it is smallish (7” x 3.25” x 6”). You could glue 2 of the Lee's together and drill some holes in the ajoining walls. That is what I was going to do until I found the supersized one. Hope that helps

For me size is much more important. I've had a AQ setup but the macro had to be constanly removed. Too much work for me. I built a DIY fuge which is much larger and I'm able to add a skimmer, heater, carbon, phosban, filter pads, and or just use the sump for LR & LS with a Protein skimmer. My point......you have a much greater range of applications. Plus I built it only spending $65 including the PH and Lighting.

Hi there Kimura...

U make a pretty good point about the space constraints of an AC...one of my concerns were that the space in an AC would be insufficient in aiding in the nutrient exchange/removal.

if it's possible...do you mind posting pics of ur DIY setup...i'm still in the midst of deciding how to design the fuge and pics of urs would help greatly....

thanx again for the insight....

Archived