Coral Vue Hydros

Chiller Alternative

cfeist

I know there are some threads mentioning similar fans that are quite old and I didn't want to resurrect them, however I have been running my Aquapod24 with an open top and wanted to avoid buying a chiller because of the expense at the moment and this solution that I got on ebay works perfectly and kept my temps at 80deg all day without any fluctuation greater than .5 deg (which is what I have my tank set at).

twofans.jpg

http://www.aquatek-california.com/twoFans.html

I think these are very similar to the Azoo clip on fans, and I did have to slice/sand down the front mounting bracket to fit properly for the Aquapod because of the back wall thickness (my only complaint), however it is now mounted perfectly and is reasonable as far as noise level (think computer level noise).

The other thing I liked about this product is how small it is and its hardly noticeable. I initially had a room fan on a stepstool in the room pointed at the tank, which was horrible looking but worked so I'm glad to replace that with this little thing.

Just passing along info, I don't work for or care to promote this product, just letting all of you know who think they need to fork over $300 for a chiller that there is a cheaper way. That being said, you could probably DYI with computer components cheaper than $30, but I wanted a clean nice looking product and I figured I would botch up the DYI route. It looks fairly easy to disassemble too, so if you wanted to replace the fans inside it looks fairly simple.

this does work great..i have this on my 10g with my sunpod..keeps the tank temp extremely stable..evaporation does go up quite a bit, so make sure to top off you water ed or have ato setup

keith

SlvrSurfRidr

BRILLIANT!! Thanks for the post guys, I have a room fan and it looks pretty shady (and is loud) what is the noise like on this baby?!

I'm using the Azoo version of this fan and it works great. My fan is controlled by my ACJR and my temp swing is 79.7 to 80.3. So far it's worked perfect. I'm in Charleston, SC and we've already hit 85 degrees twice this week. I have a chiller but so far I've never even had to install it since the fan works so well. I got mine from Drs F&S for $24.99. As for noise, I agree with cfiest. It sounds like the fan inside my computer - no louder...

I think the Aquatek, Azoo and JEBO fans are all very similar or actually the same. The noise spec is 40db, which isn't bad, although if its the only thing going in the room its definitely noticeable like a computer tower. Very acceptable imo and its cheap and has a small footprint.

i have two aquatek 6's for my tank. they are really good fans. i think they look nice too, some might think differently.

My fan cost me $5 at Wallymart - worked perfectly.

There's no question this isn't the 'cheapest' route to go, but for the product quality, aesthetics, and not having to DIY, it's reasonable imo.

I think the Aquatek, Azoo and JEBO fans are all very similar or actually the same. The noise spec is 40db, which isn't bad, although if its the only thing going in the room its definitely noticeable like a computer tower. Very acceptable imo and its cheap and has a small footprint.

I have the dual Jebo over my Finnex 30g tank, that's the fan solution that Finnex offers (or offered) on their website for just $25. I CAN hear it when it comes on, but it's not loud at all, not to an annying degree at least, and it works great at keeping the temps of my tank in check when it kicks on through my ACjr. Because of the fan, my chiller almost never turns on, except when we're having heatwave conditions. B) Definitely worth every last penny to try out before springing for a chiller!

I know there are some threads mentioning similar fans that are quite old and I didn't want to resurrect them, however I have been running my Aquapod24 with an open top and wanted to avoid buying a chiller because of the expense at the moment and this solution that I got on ebay works perfectly and kept my temps at 80deg all day without any fluctuation greater than .5 deg (which is what I have my tank set at).

twofans.jpg

http://www.aquatek-california.com/twoFans.html

I think these are very similar to the Azoo clip on fans, and I did have to slice/sand down the front mounting bracket to fit properly for the Aquapod because of the back wall thickness (my only complaint), however it is now mounted perfectly and is reasonable as far as noise level (think computer level noise).

The other thing I liked about this product is how small it is and its hardly noticeable. I initially had a room fan on a stepstool in the room pointed at the tank, which was horrible looking but worked so I'm glad to replace that with this little thing.

Just passing along info, I don't work for or care to promote this product, just letting all of you know who think they need to fork over $300 for a chiller that there is a cheaper way. That being said, you could probably DYI with computer components cheaper than $30, but I wanted a clean nice looking product and I figured I would botch up the DYI route. It looks fairly easy to disassemble too, so if you wanted to replace the fans inside it looks fairly simple.

Awsome!!! Great thank you so much, That's what I'm going to try!!!

it is a great fan..it is a bit loud..the first thing my gf said when i turned it on for the first time is "its loud" but you get used to it..plus its alot cheaper than a chiller hah

keith

it is a great fan..it is a bit loud..the first thing my gf said when i turned it on for the first time is "its loud" but you get used to it..plus its alot cheaper than a chiller hah

keith

Yea, like I said, if its the only thing going in a quiet room, it's louder than I would have liked, however for 1/10th the price of the chiller and the small footprint and effectiveness i'll take it for now... I was even thinking about getting some lower dB (aka silent) cooling fans from a computer supplier and replacing the ones in there. I've seen some on the sites I purchase my computer parts for that are rated at 10db, I just need to check out what's going on and see how quick and easy it is. I notice there are screws on the sides of the case, so taking it apart may not be that big a deal, it's probably pretty simple. I'm not sure on the fan mm size etc yet.

ya i have thought about that myself..but during the winter here i dont have to use my fan, so i have decided to just deal with it lol

ya i have thought about that myself..but during the winter here i dont have to use my fan, so i have decided to just deal with it lol

HAHA my nano tanks are both in my bedroom!! LOL fan $29.99 loud... chiller $300 quiet

HMMMM solution buy earplugs for sleeping! GREAT DEAL!!!

LOL

Thank EVERYONE for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...
Bringing back this topic, do you guys think this fan would make it the whole summer in SoCal?

I live in Redondo Beach, so that's the plan for me... hopefully I can make it, otherwise a chiller is indeed in my future. It got pretty hot here yesterday, low 80s outside, no AC and my temps on my tank never passed 81.1 from a low of 79.5 so i'm pretty happy so far. Obviously summer will be worse than the 80s, but so far so good.

EDIT: I just checked the weather for Sat/Sun this past weekend as was worse than what I previously mentioned (low 80s) It reached a high of 87 Sat. and a high of 91-93 degrees on Sunday. Tank never surpassed 81.1, so that was an early Summer test imo and it went really well.

InTr4nceWeTrust

Hm...all right. I guess I'll give it a shot. Redondo Beach is cooler than my area but I think 10 gallons should be easier to cool than 24.

burtbollinger

just ordered a jebo version off ebaty for 25 bux....my finnex 30g was hitting 83...would be just fine with a stable 81.

SlvrSurfRidr

what model jebo did ya go with burt? I'm in so cal and my tank hit 84 with the heat burst this weekend!! That was with the room on full AC too ... man I don't wanna get a chiller but might have to break down :(

How big are the fans (60mm, 80mm, etc.)? and can you open up the housing to replace the included fans? There's tons of much quieter PC fans that would be a cinch to wire in to replace the included ones.

40dB is laughable. when you can get almost the same airflow at less than 20dB with PC fans.

Keanu Reefs

This looks like a great alternative to a chiller for open top tanks but what about a 12g Nano.

If I don't want to buy a chiller and don't want to do extensive mods to my hood what would anyone suggest?

How big are the fans (60mm, 80mm, etc.)? and can you open up the housing to replace the included fans? There's tons of much quieter PC fans that would be a cinch to wire in to replace the included ones.

40dB is laughable. when you can get almost the same airflow at less than 20dB with PC fans.

I'm with you on this one. I haven't had the time lately, but I noticed there is a screw on the side of the case, so it doesn't appear to be difficult to open up the housing and replace the fans. I am aware of fans with the same CFM airflow at 6-8db each, which would be well over half the noise level for same or better airflow.

It's definitely something I plan on doing, if anyone has time to check this out for all of us it would be much appreciated. I will do it in the near future and post back if no one has by then.

Archived