SaltCritters.com

Catastrophy strikes

ch0ch

well i was trying to take out my overflow tube to cap the bulkhead because im just gunna use a hang on fuge... but as i was removing the 3/4 inch pvc the bulk head moved and water started leaking out from the bottom FAST... i decided that the little 7gal was giving me to many problems.

I rushed to the LFS and got a 10 gal... im currently putting all my rock and sand in the 10gal...

but i wanted to kno if my hang on aq300 fuge would be enough for a ten gallong? or shud i just spring for the aq500?

i am asking that because i think the media conpartment is a lil small for a ten gal but not sure, let me kno.

use the ac 500 but with the impeller off of a 150. that will cut down on flow and give you more media space. the best of both worlds!

insert a baffle into the beginning of the AC500's media area. just like in the aquafuge. try to shunt the majority of the flow to the output and just a little to the rest of the reservoir.

you could even double baffle it or stagger it. the AC's are all adjustable in their flow but baffling should be the main way to divert/control the majority of the flow. the built-in adjuster should be to just fine tune it imo.

Someone on another AquaClear thread mentioned using the impeller of a smaller model instead, because cutting down the impeller tends to make it noisier (probably not perfectly symmetrical anymore, causing it to wobble). Apparently this works quite well, it just takes a little longer to self-prime.

I've also wondered if drilling a couple of small holes in the U-tube maybe a centimeter above the impeller would work. But that might disrupt the AC's self-priming.

yeah holes would kill the self prime. you have to keep any openings in the tube below the water line in the filter fo it to self prime.

Oh, I thought the water line in the filter was higher than that. I guess I should look more closely. The idea was that the holes were supposed to be below the water line.

Archived