Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

interesting problem please help hermit stole coral frag pic

smallreef

I picked up this frag sometime last week. First of all if anyone can help me I would love to get an exact id of the coral????? So here is the problem the frag was attached to a snail shell and now a hermit has decided to move into the shell??? Can I rip the frag off the shell without damaging it??? Also if I rip it off the shell I have a rock I would like to attach it to but never had much luck attaching a coral under water with the crazy glue gell. It seems to dry as soon as it hits the water??? What are my options here? Any advice?

hermitcoral1.txt

hermitcoral2.txt

Put more shells in the tank and hope the hermit moves! YOu can get a load of shells at Walmart in the craft department!

V

LoL...Thats a site!! What ya could do is rubber band the shell down to something or secure it to a rock. That way the crab is sure to find another shell. Be sure to place another one near him for a quick exit.

As for the glue, well I am in the process of trying to find a good one myself.

Good luck...let us all know how it goes!

The coral is Capnella, and if the hermit refuses to give up the shell just snip the frag off of it as far down as possible and find a hole in the rocks to tuck it into....it'll reattach in no time.

westkyracer

Capnella has a thick tree like trunk with soft feather like polyps. The polyps are very similar to those of Nepthea and Lithophyton but larger in size. Capnella is typically found in nature on reef slopes at shallow and deep levels but prefers medium (VHO) or strong indirect light (ie..lower levels or bottom if Metal Halides are used). In the aquaria Capnella fairs best under medium light and gentle (medium) current levels. (www.reefnotes.com)

Archived