Innovative Marine Aquariums

What's Killing my Zoos?

C Jerome

What's killing my zoos? The zoos on the left side of my 2.5 being killed by something. They looked good a few days ago but then there was some white stuff on one of them just near the permiter in one section, it caused a small portion of one zoo to not be extened(it was curled in) Then the zoo eventuly closed all the way up and some have shrunken and died in just a few days. The zoo in the background of this photo is in the closed up stage, i hope it does not shrink and die. The zoos to the left are so far unaffected, but two zoos on the other side of the tank(not pictured) had some of the white stuff on them today, but they have opend back up, so i hope they will be okay. Any ideas, my water is great, and all else is happy

C. Jerome

got pep shrimp or a mithrax? I've caught them in the act.

I've also heard of some fire worms chowing on zoos as they get bigger and caught my momma worm apparently killing a leather (circled it and did major damage to the base).

no shrimp or crab, just a blue leg. By fire worm do you mean bristle worm? I have seen a few little ones in the rocks.

You might have a hitchhiker nudibranch that is killing them. I have found a few in my aquariums( they are sneaky) about 1/4" long and dark brown.

if you find them, be very careful removing them. They can be very toxic and if you accidentally kill them, they release said toxins into the water or on your skin (if you're touching them).

I have taken a look and dont see any, so i dont think thats it, i will have to look tonight and see if they come out then if they are infact there.

check for large 'pods - I had a yellow polyp rock almost completely devoured by the little bugs (a couple of large pods were responsible). I would watch them come out at night and feed on the base of the polyps.

6 line wrasse put a stop to the marauding right quick :)

Some times if youdont have enough flow on them or youhave inadiquate lighting theywill die on youas well. Also if youhave to strong of a current flowing directly on them they will not extend their polyps and not be able to feed and hence die. from the picit dosent look like they are being picked at though to me. Looks more like they are half starved. Do you dose any marine snow or phyto? They are filter feeders as well as light lovers.

What i dont get is that the other colors are doing well(knock on wood), I do dont dose much, but i do feed them some meat when i feed my candy cane, I think my flow is okay, if any thing it would be too much. What i dont get is they were fine for a while then started to crap out.

Most zoos dont eat large particle's. They eat tiny plankton like matter floating in the water column. try dosing a little phyto plankton or marine snow in there. and try to move the sick specimens to a low flow area for a while. When the bottom part of the stem gets damaged or sickly likein the pic strong or even moderate current can erode them away litteraly. It will bend them back and forth just like a half broken limb until it gives way or causes further damage and it just gives in a keels over. That is what I have noticed any ways with mine. It could be that a coral it is next to is producing chemicals it dosent agree with as well.

Archived