Coral Vue Hydros

ID please, hope it's not bad!

fuentes925

Hi,

I noticed this on one peice of LR, it is rubbery to the touch and a clear white color with what loks like skin pours evenly spaced out across it with a short hair coming out of some of it's pours. There is also a what looks like a air bubble on it, which sticks up alittle more than the rest of it. There are about 3 of these in my tank and all look the same, they are about 1/2" in size, they don't move, but the have a look of some kind of encrusting something or other. One of them seems to have what looks like a feather duster head sticking out of it, no tube just the head. I tap my tank and all the tube worms hide but that one does not, I am sure it is part of this white thing and not a tube worm growing through it. Any Ideas of what it could be?

I am trying to add a image but am having trouble, by the way are those bad should I be worried? Will they sting corals?

bump

actually, i view tunicates and similar (i.e. sponges, foramferan-whachamacallsits, etc.) as a very good sign for bio-diversity and health in a system. filter feeders that some people cultivate for 'cryptic' filtration (most notably steve tyree of dynamic ecomorp.

in short, they good imo. interesting looking at the very least.

i think what you have may be a sponge tho. tyree has a book on sponges which i think is pretty good. pics a lower quality but real application versus optimal (i.e. actual aquarium photos vs. red sea/indo-pacific professional diver macro-pics or pics you would recognize in your own tanks vs. ones you'll never really get to see) :)

I am sure that what I have is a Tunicate, after Cajastan mentioned that it maybe a Tunicate or sponge I looked them up and found that it is very much like a Tunicate. The only diffrernce is that mine seem to have a single hair that extends out of it's pours at times, and I did not read any where that a Tunicate has those hairs. Besides that it looks exactly like a white incrusting Tunicate. Thanks for helping me id this guy. This is my first SW tank and I am surprised at the amount of life and activity that goes on in it, way more than FW tanks. It seems like the more you look the more you keep finding.

Thanks

Fuentes

Archived