Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

? April Frag Swap?

Weetabix7

NotGumbelWV

I'd be willing to participate, as an Inexperienced Shipper ... don't have a lot yet to trade, just some palys & shrooms, and not sure if they're enough to bring to the table.

I'd be willing to participate, as an Inexperienced Shipper ... don't have a lot yet to trade, just some palys & shrooms, and not sure if they're enough to bring to the table.

There seem to be plenty of people in the same boat as you, so I think it would be workable to have you participate once we pull it together.

One thing that we do have on our side right now is that we're coming into a season with really good weather conditions for shipping.

Spring and fall are really the best times for that.

weetie would u think i would be an experienced or inexperienced shipper?btw i didnt use insulation foam on your pack since i was out..and how the cloves and cap?

Id like to participate in future swaps after I know a little more about them. Maybe sum1 could post a coral shipping guide for dummies. Also what are the requirements? What types of corals? How many? how large of frags?

Thanks

SHIPPING TUTORIAL

There's more than one way to ship, but this is what works for me.

-I like to use 6x6 or 7x7 boxes. I get mine from Wal-Mart, they're pretty cheap.

-Line the box with some type of insulating material. A lot of people use simple styrofoam, which can be found in any store that carries craft supplies. I actually prefer to use an insulating foam that can be found in the Building Supply dept. of any hardware store. It really helps to try to get a tight fit with whatever type of insulating liner you use.

This is a pic of the insulation I use. The white piece w/print is the back of the insulation, the small silver slivers are pieces showing the front surface of the insulation:

DSCN1889.jpg

-Just inside the insulation, I like to put a large plastic bag. This is to prevent Post Office freakouts and damp boxes in the event that some water leaks out of the frag bags. I use plastic shopping bags.

-According to Post Office regulations, it is okay to ship liquids as long as there is enough absorbent material in the package to absorb anything that leaks. Therefore, I use either newspaper or paper towels as packing material around the bags.

-For bags, I like to use 6" x 20" 2 mil bags from kensfish.com. Here's a link:

http://www.kensfish.com/shippingsupplie.html

If you're bagging zoas, you can put 2-3 frags in one bag as long as you wrap each frag in a paper towel to protect them from jostling each other. This will also keep them damp if water leaks out of the bag. I ONLY use paper towels w/zoas.

For other corals, one frag to a bag is probably best.

They don't need to have a whole bagful of water, just enough to keep them covered during shipment.

I like to double bag my frags, and fasten each bag individually with a rubber band.

-Place bag in box, fill remainder of space w/newspaper or paper towel, and close larger outer bag over the whole w/tape.

This is a bag with 3 paper-towel wrapped zoa frags in it:

DSCN1913.jpg

This is what your package should look like before closing and taping the outer bag over the contents:

DSCN1885.jpg

-For heat packs, I like to use 40 hr. heat packs from kensfish.com, see above link.

Wrap heat pack in newspaper or paper towel, place on top of outer bag, place top piece of insulating foam, then close box, tape well, address and ship!

Heat Packs, opened and unopened:

DSCN1894.jpg

This is what your package should look like w/the outer bag closed and the newspaper wrapped heat pack placed on top:

DSCN1893.jpg

With the weather getting warmer, heat packs aren't always necessary. If you're not sure whether one is needed, go to www.weather.com and use both your zip code and the recipients zip code to look up weather forecasts.

If you're shipping Priority and the weather is cold where you are but warm where the recipient is, use a 20 hr. heat pack just to warm it for the beginning of the journey.

This shipping method works wonderfully. Gotten plenty of stuff from the Coral Kitchen ladies and it's top-notch packaging every time. Exact same way I ship things now too. In fact, I shipped stuff back to them like this...haha. Hope everyone has a good time if this happens. I don't think I can trade this time around. Still growing out.

Hope you all have fun,

Bill

I have some zoos x 12 frags (7 diff colors 4-12 polyps each depending...orange bammers have some purple cloves growing with them)

shrooms x 4 (red, blue, elec, brown)

rics x 2 (1 with 3 mouths trying to split and 1 the size of a dime all green and red)

2 sm headed green trumpet with yellow cloves growing up side

gsp

1 dime size piece toad lthr

Id be interested in softies only...

zoos

rics

cloves

xenia

shrooms

galaxia

etc

would prefer doing large swap with max of 3 others for equalish type trade (min of 5 pieces) to make it ww

will post pics if there is interest

BR

oh and i have never shipped, but have received from sues kitchen and would ship the same way which is what was outlined above.

I have the following to trade:

Green candy cane's 3+ heads

Burgundy candy cane's 3+ heads

Blue bottlebrush acro 1"

Orange Montipora 1"x1"

Maybe a 2+ head Acan Lord red with powder blue stripes

Maybe a 1"+ cerise acropora

Maybe a 1"+ light purple acropora

I say maybe on the acro's because I have a nice piece of Cerise and Purple acro that I just picked up that is actually fragable but I want to make sure it is healthy and happy before I frag it and the same for the Acan.

Weetabix-

Perhaps a couple of stupid questions but something I was kicking around in my head regarding this topic...

What about shipping the corals in a plastic jar? That way no bag breakage and less padding required, no?

Why do people put O2 in the bags?

Thanks,

UH

SaltWaterNewb

Depending on when, I would like to join in as a beginner. Just depends on if I have anything to offer when this thing kicks off. I know the only thing I will be interested in trading will be zoas and palys since that is all that will be in my tank.

Another question on shipping...

What about putting them in wine bottle shipping containers using a zip lock disposable food container lined with a plastic bag?

UH

Another question on shipping...

What about putting them in wine bottle shipping containers using a zip lock disposable food container lined with a plastic bag?

UH

That's actually kind of an interesting idea.

You'd just have to make sure that all text concerning alcoholic beverages was covered up or obliterated on the outside of the box since the Post Office will not allow you to ship in a box that clearly says something about alcohol on the box.

I think it's cause you're not allowed to ship alcohol.

reeferman-chris

I think I might be interested in participating again this go around. I've had good experiences in both previous swaps and always have a few frags to swap with...

whats the word?

The word is that I'm still waiting for free time to pull this together.

Hope to have it soon.

Been swamped lately!!!

Haven't forgotten though...

noobofreefs

I'd probably be in but I just set up my tank so I wouldn't have anything to trade really...I would buy corals from anyone willing but that kind of defeats the purpose of a swap I guess. So I would probably be in providing my tank cycles and if I'm allowed to buy any corals, I may have some palys or zoas to trade. Maybe look into moving it into very early may? Give everyone a little time to prepare (yourself as well!)

NOR

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm just not up for it right now, sorry guys.

If some other senior member would like to take over and get the ball rolling, that would be great.

Archived