SaltCritters.com

my very first coral...any advice??

dubious49

hi all!

well as of today i can officially say that i'm have a reef tank!!

wend down to the LFS to pick up a royal gramma (who, btw is absolutely gorgeous!) and one of the guys working there had just fragged a very big nephthea coral and offered me a piece about 1.5 inches tall for $1. my tank's been set up for about 12 weeks so i figured i'd give it a shot.

currently the base of the coral is tied to a small piece of live rock with a rubber band which is positioned about 4 inches from the base of the sand bed.

can anyone give me some advice on keeping this coral. i've read that it can sting other corals and may need some suppliments for optimum health.

my setup is as follows:

10 gallon tank

15 lbs LR

20 lbs LS

96watt PC lighting

2 PH

aqua clear mini HOB

3 blue legged hermits

3 red legged hermits

2 turbo snails

2 (unknown) snails (small)

1 royal gramma

water params:

amm - 0

trite - 0

trate - 0 (just did a WC today)

phos - 0

alk - 3.5

pH - 8.5

cal - aprox 350

temp 79F

thanks in advance for any help!

chris

decent flow and good light for nephths.

i would bump up the calcium a little more too. the softies do use calcium (in their spicules) and many people just ignore that aspect tho for some reason. dendros, caps, and nepths all utilize a fair amount of calcium ime.

never had a nepth sting or even irritate another coral tho. ??? they can grow fast and should have a 'billowing' current flow versus a steady or laminar flow for better growth and appearance. be careful with it's tankmates, for some reason nepths are 'tasty'. fish, crab, etc. may take a nibble on them. hth

Archived